• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dave's 98 XJ build

davidwulf

NAXJA Forum User
My first post wanna say hi to all . Like it says I'am building a XJ for trail use .Mostly for the east Tn area . Wind rock mainly .
The XJ I have was donated by my twin brother and is a rust free east coast jeep , a little in the passenger floor though just surface .
It has 277,000 and runs great also the trans seems to be in great shape .
He had brought it up three years ago and we installed the 4.5 RC lift and other stuff , then was has only been a beach cruiser . Here's a list of what was installed .
RC 4.5 lift with there leave pack
Adjustable arms and drop brackets , arms have the Johnny joints
Adjustable track bar and drop down bracket
Heavy duty tie rod , chromoly
All new ends
Ruff stuff diff covers
New stainless brake lines
Bilstien 5100 shocks
An ARG steering box
Dropped pitman arm
195 amp alt
Heavy duty radiator with and extra core

Here's what I've done so far . The interior is out headliner and all carpet and seats . The fenders have been cut and also the rockers are ready for the 2x6 tube . All bumpers are off and the frame has been cleaned up for plating . This XJ was in perfect shape underneath no rust , no dirt or mud just clean . So this makes working so much easier .
My plane are get the plating and rockers done beef up the steering box area with plating and a brace . Brace the track bar drop bracket .
Then a combination exo and interior cage out of 1 3/4 120. Tube . Not using DOM , going with HREW it will be fine .

I have somewhat of a fab shop in my garage and have been welding for a while .
I have a Hobart 140 mig and a Eastwood 200 amp AC-DC tig . Also have access to a 175 amp Miller mig if needed .
I have a pro tools model 104 bender with 1/2 - 3/4 - 1 - 1 1/4 dies and a 1 3/4 on the way . I've just converted it to air over hydro and built a roll around stand for it .

When I figure out hoe to post pics I will .

Today I got some welding done on the front of the frame . I installed 1 1/2 " angle on the top and bottom of the frame nose . Got them welded on and also made a template for the front section of frame plating out of card board .
Yesterday got a 20' piece of 2x6 3/16 tube for my sliders and rear bumper .

Back