• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

136 amp alternator upgrade?

beast4533

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching but didn't find any info on this subject.
Has any one taken a 136 junkyard alternator to a shop and had it rewound for more? What are they getting out of them?

what are you doing that needs more than 136? My buddy can run all of his offroad lights and his winch at the same time on his dual battery setup, he is running a normal GC136amp alt.

Did you just scroll through old pages or did you use the search engine? I found all the information by typing in 'alternator upgrade' and literally '136A'. I found all the info a couple months ago when I was looking into it myself. Long story short: wasn't worth it for me. There IS an HD option for the XJ. Contact a local autoelectric place to track it down. :)

Here's the 136A results. http://naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=2459996

I tried searching but didn't find any info on this subject.
Has any one taken a 136 junkyard alternator to a shop and had it rewound for more? What are they getting out of them?

Anything that give you a high output at low RPM is worth it. The total AMP output of the alternator means very little if you have to rev the engine high to get a usable amount of current out of it. The alternator on my XJ is rated at 200 AMP with about 65 AMP of it available at idle. I doubt I ever used more the say 90 AMPS at any time.

I had mine rebuilt to 170amp to help run my lights, winch, stereo but also rewired my battery cables with welders gage to handle the load (the old cable 4gage) became the ground replacing the tiny wire that was being used.

Back