• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ lift KIT

crazy4mopar

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys
I picked up a Rubicon Express 3.5 superflex lift kit for my xj today.
Is there anything I need to lookout for? any tricks or tips?
I just have to find somewhere to install it!! No automotive work allowed on our property. :(

A few days before doing it, start soaking down all bolts that you are going to remove with PB Blast (all CA bolts, u bolts). Soak everyday for 5 days. This will make it easier for you to take everything apart. I don't remember if that RE3.5" is an adda leaf or new spring packs, but you will need to soak the shackles also.

Can't help you here on the location. I am only allowed one torn down XJ at a time (wife's rules).

SeanP

Also, be sure to take it to the Spray-Rite and wash it off underneath real good. It's more fun installing the lift when dirt isn't falling on you constantly. :D

Richard G

XJ lift kit

Goatman said:
Also, be sure to take it to the Spray-Rite and wash it off underneath real good.

My XJ was an old lady's car, It barely has road grime under it!!
I think I'm going to put revolver shackles on at the same time. 8)
I almost hate to take the body saw to it :twisted:

yes the stock shackles are jsut fine to wheel with. if u want norcalxj has some RE lift shackles brand new he will sell u for cheap. they will give u a little more lift.

What is wrong with revolvers?

Mine gave me about 1.5" lift. They are the ones from metal made rite though.

I think they are hard on springs but other than that I dont see anything wrong with them.

Larry, problem is when you are climbing steep sections, the revolvers have a nasty habit of "springing" open which causes nasty weight transfer issues. And it is hard on the springs. This has been a classic debate on just about every jeep board I have frequented. The summation of every post is that if you tend to climb large rock faces and waterfalls, you would be better served not having the revolvers.

SeanP

Steep declines are a problem.... However, the best way to overcome that is with a limiting strap. If you take the xj and lift from the rear until the revolvers are about 1/4 to 1/2 of the way open then put the limiting strap in the center.... you get rid of the rear pop up issue. However, you still retain the single wheel articluation.

I forgot about that... It has been a while.

:D My lift kit is in! 8)
It was pretty easy. the 3 1/2 superflex kit lifted it almost 5 inches in front
and 4 1/2 in the rear. I guess my springs were gone! Thanks for the info guys. Tomorrow the 31x12.50-15 Swamper TSL tires go on. :D

Lol, thanks for figuring that out Dan. At first I thought Lee was trying to be funny, then I couldn't figure out who this Larry person was :)

But apparently boggers are the bomb.

Back