• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ will crank but wont start :(

BiggJohnson06

NAXJA Forum User
the other day i was driving downt he road when my 91' XJ laredo 4.0 just stopped while i was driving... pulled over the motor would crank just fine but it wouldnt start.. first guess was fuel pump/ filter.. got a brand new pump and filter still wouldnt fire checked the relay for fuel pump and auto shutdown both were fine changed all plugs/wires dist. cap and rotor still wont fire except if i pour gas directly into the throttle body it will start until that gas burns up so its not getting gas somewhere alone the way but the lines arent clogged i ran a air compressor hose through both send and return line both were clear does the xj have a fuel cutoff switch somewhere or does anyone know what it could be

A year model would help. On at least the earlier years there was a ballast resistor on the drivers side fender well.

xjballast.jpg

That drawing is of an 87-90, your 91 is an H.O., Check to see if you have fuel pressure/spark, and then try the crank position sensor. I think it's located on the top of the bellhousing. Never been that deep into an H.O.

Ecarlcl

Back