• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat Is Rattling

skylo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a new Dyno Max cat back exhaust system that I am getting ready to put on but, there is a strange rattleing coming from the cat. The heat shield is not loose or is anything else. I looked and looked but found nothing. Has any one ever had this problem? It is the stock cat w/105K on it. Can the heat sheild be removed or should I get a new cat?

New cat, if the honey comb inside is breaking up might as well do it now while it's all apart...

there is a little bracket infront of the cat that should be welded to the exhaust pipe. If the weld broke the pipe will rattle against the bracket. Both of my comanches do it. Im guessing that comanches and cherokees both have that little bracket.

My dog makes cats rattle, he he, Seriously mines doing it too, it's the heat sheild, If I can't fix it I'm going to cut the sheild off.

If the cat is rattling, it means that the catalyst is breaking up and needs to be replaced. It will eventually plug up or blow crap into your muffler.

Goatman said:
If the cat is rattling, it means that the catalyst is breaking up and needs to be replaced. It will eventually plug up or blow crap into your muffler.

not necesarily cuz mine rattles and there aint a thing in it but air. also i took the heatshield off.

like said, when mine was rattling, it was all the stuff inside it had broken loose. it was fine when i got it, but all it took was a few good trips off road to knock everything loose.

Mine got a rattle twice. The first time it was the heat shield hanging from only one weld. A few tack welds fixed that....

The second time it was that bracket in front of the cat. Pulled what was left of it off and no more rattle!

Like Skylo has stated, he has checked for external rattles and has found nothing loose or broken. If you are putting a complete new exhaust system, I would get a new cat. That rattle that everybody says may be the bracket will only get worse. Like some have stated, the catalyst is coming loose and WILL cause problems like loss power pulling a grade and overheating. I, too, thought that the rattle was coming from the heat shield. But on the way to moab last spring, found out otherwise. About half way to moab from Salt Lake the rattle amazingly stopped. Then it proceded to lose power and got so hot that my center console started to melt. Not to mention the engine temp went sky high. I nursed it to Elephant Hill and punched a hole in the cat. All that was left of the catalyst was a piece about 6" long and 2" in diameter. Just big enough to fit in the pipe coming out of the cat. Pulled the piece out and it was like I had just put a new blower or turbo on. In short, put a new high flow cat on and be done with it. Save you a lot of trouble down the road.

Laters........Mikey :cool:

Last edited:
Back