• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988/1994 Xj Clutch Hydraulic Sealing

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
First, my Xj is a 1988 model year. However, when I converted it to the AX-15 I also installed the external slave clutch cover from the 1994 vintage Xj.

My clutch master just failed and I was unable to obtain the complete hydraulic system (i.e., master, line, slave) from any local parts store. This forced me to settle for a new master but, now that I have removed it I see the o-ring in the sealing groove at the end of the line that gets inserted into the master cylinder.

Does anyone know what size this o-ring is? I should replace it with the master.

The part number reference is useful for the future but, this is not really the OE part. The strap on the slave post tells me this. OE Jeep systems used to have a positive stop to limit slave travel. Now every manufacturer uses a smooth bore in the slave and some other means to limit travel. When these slaves first appeared on the aftermarket people here complained and extended the slave rod that interacts with the clutch fork to get the throw they had beforehand.

Ultimately, your convenient method is just that... I replaced my master with one from Sachs and bled it manually because, my power bleeder lines had begun to degrade. No big deal...and no need to spend the funds you did if you can diagnose the hydraulic system properly and bleed the air from the system. The only pain is the slave bleed control is usually at the rear/input end and this is the wrong location in view of how the 4.0L and transmission are installed in the Xj.

The part number reference is useful for the future but, this is not really the OE part. The strap on the slave post tells me this. OE Jeep systems used to have a positive stop to limit slave travel. Now every manufacturer uses a smooth bore in the slave and some other means to limit travel. When these slaves first appeared on the aftermarket people here complained and extended the slave rod that interacts with the clutch fork to get the throw they had beforehand.

Ultimately, your convenient method is just that... I replaced my master with one from Sachs and bled it manually because, my power bleeder lines had begun to degrade. No big deal...and no need to spend the funds you did if you can diagnose the hydraulic system properly and bleed the air from the system. The only pain is the slave bleed control is usually at the rear/input end and this is the wrong location in view of how the 4.0L and transmission are installed in the Xj.

What the F are you talking about?????

Those straps are for shipping only, remove them at installation or allow them to break on the first pump.

Also, not a matter of convenience. I've gone through 4 aftermarket masters. I bet your Sachs has one plunger, Mopar uses two.

System is pre-bleed.

Got a Crown set from Quadratec that is a total pos. I hate that these parts are make from plastic. Talk about engineering for failure. Does anyone have any info on a good aluminum machined replacement master slave system?

Yesterday and today I am finishing the master cylinder and hydro line install. I got a one piece solid master cylinder from napa and I am picking up a custom made stainless braided hose from a hydraulic lime shop in a few hours. Im not super stoked on the "push-on" with an o-ring and pin style connection on the MC but it works. This set-up isnt the cheapest (I think around 45 for the MC and 40 for the line) but there is no plastic, except the fill cap, in the whole assembly.

Back