• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Xj: Wiper Washers Failed...

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
These just failed while my Xj was down for master clutch cylinder replacement. I have been unable to identify much in the way of useful information regarding which of the two subsystems involved is the more likely culprit so, I thought it would be useful for me to begin this thread.

What is the more common cause of cruise control, windshield washers, intermittent wipers losing operation? The stalk we use to enable/disable these functions

https://www.1aauto.com/cruise-control-lever/i/1azcc00002?f=486047&y=1988

or, this part/harness

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=266528&cc=1179839

that the stalk plugs into?

My wipers still work, no washer fluid. Turn signals are okay but, no cruise (went away a long time ago with known good modules under the dash.). The only comments I typically see are owners referring to the "multi-function switch." This description does not help me because, I often see both of these parts described with this phrase.

When mine failed the first time te pump was plugged up with gelled windshield washer fluid. A little really hot water and a pipe cleaner fixed that. Other times it was a bad pump motor. First thing I'd do is pull the washer reservoir and test the pump motor. Windshield washer fluid can get gummy when it dries out, depends on the brand, some are mostly alcohol, some have some soap mixed in, others have some sort of glycol, some a little of all of the above. I've stopped buying the budget brands.

Changing out a pump/motor is a pain but doable, kits are reasonable.

In a pinch I've swapped the connectors and made my rear window washer pump/motor my front. The rear IMO isn't nearly as critical.

Back