• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 Wagoneer-Limited (Renix) Whining-noise?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
Issue: Whining noise when starting. I read threads on this subject... But no solutions. There is a TSB (14-15-90) that recommends a "kit". Anyone install this kit or found a solution?

Jeep TSB 14-51-90

Make:JeepNumber:14-51-90Date:July 1, 1990Title:4.0L Eng Fuel Pump Noise - Pulse Damper KitModels:
  • 1987-1990Cherokee
  • 1987-1988Cherokee Chief
  • 1987-1990Cherokee Laredo
  • 1987-1990Cherokee Limited
  • 1987-1990Cherokee Pioneer
  • 1989-1990Cherokee Sport
  • 1987Wagoneer
  • 1987-1990Wagoneer Limited

I believe that "kit" is the ballast resistor that many people remove to get full voltage at the fuel pump.

I believe that "kit" is the ballast resistor that many people remove to get full voltage at the fuel pump.

These kind of things are always a fascinating exercise!

I have an email out to a dealership... Stay tuned!

Whining noise when starting is not a very clear statement to go on.

Does it whine when you turn the key to on but not when cranking or running?
How long does the whining continue? Does it go away immediately after disengaging the starter?

How about posting up a vid of it so we can hear.

Whining noise when starting is not a very clear statement to go on.

Does it whine when you turn the key to on but not when cranking or running?
How long does the whining continue? Does it go away immediately after disengaging the starter?

How about posting up a vid of it so we can hear.

Video! I don't even have a cell-phone! :shhh: Guess I'm the better old-man! :wave1::laugh:

Anyway... It's one-of-those things/sounds that if you had it... You would know. :repair:
To answer your questions...
> "turn the key to on but not when cranking or running?" Correct
> "how long does the whining continue?" Five-seconds

That is what to expect from a fuel pump. The noise will be louder on a near empty tank and less when full.

On older vehicles there is a rubber stopper/bumper on the bottom of the fuel pump mounting assy that fits into a bracket inside the tank. If that rubber piece comes apart or is not there, it can make a ton of noise.

Suggestion, turn down your hearing aide. ;-)

You are right sir!

FUEL PUMP NOISE
Some 1987 Cherokee/Wagoneer models equipped with a 4.0L engine have fuel pumps that may produce an unusual amount of noise heard inside the vehicle. The noise is not an indication of a fuel pump malfunction but it is a source of customer complaints. The amount of noise heard is greater on vehicles equipped with a skid plate or when vehicles are operated during cold weather.
Service correction involves the installation of a ballast resistor kit, PN 8983 100 054, in series with the fuel pump circuit. The resistor reduces fuel pump speed which reduces the noise level created by the fuel pump. Other wiring changes will be needed to maintain continuity with the 1988 M.S. 1700 tester cartridge and prevent engine damage under extreme operating conditions.
NOTE: The 1988 M.S. 1700 Jeep 4.0L tester cartridge replaces all previous Jeep 4.0L tester cartridges. In order to use a 1988 M.S. 1700 tester cartridge on a 1987 model year 4.0L engine, it will be necessary to revise the wiring as described in this I.S. Note to make it match 1988 production. If the wiring is not changed, the M.S. 1700 will indicate a fault even though one does not exist. Refer to M.S. 1700 Test in this I.S. Note.

FWIW, I like that noise. When that noise stops for good, I have to spend money I'd rather put somewhere else.

And it tends to stop at the worst times.

That whine is a working, normal fuel pump, so stop whining about it, Older man, LOL.

Video! I don't even have a cell-phone! :shhh: Guess I'm the better old-man! :wave1::laugh:

Anyway... It's one-of-those things/sounds that if you had it... You would know. :repair:
To answer your questions...
> "turn the key to on but not when cranking or running?" Correct
> "how long does the whining continue?" Five-seconds

And it tends to stop at the worst times.

And that whine is a great diagnostic tool for no start days or nights. :cheers:

Back