• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 XJ Laredo Speedo Cable Replacement

zachtyler

NAXJA Forum User
Having trouble finding a compatible speedo cable for my 89 Laredo. It has cruise control, however it doesn't work. I've heard it's a different kind of cable if it has cruise control. The reason I am replacing is the clip that goes to the instrument cluster snapped. It still works but it's just pressed up against it. Anybody know the correct cable I need?

Edit: Further research shows it is a two piece cable, with the second upper piece going to the gauge cluster. So, I might be able to replace just that one I assume?

Last edited:
Not sure the Renix (89) is digital? Unless the output cable wiring from the sensor to the ECU is digital? Maybe it is. The Gauge itself is analog I think and the input cable is mechanical-analog. I think that sensor changed in 91 and again in later years. There is speedometer cable specialty shop in north west Houston, Tx I use for those parts and Issues. It is all they do. They actually fab cables there. Might find them on Google, but I had to take the parts the cable attaches to, to them and give them the length I wanted to get a custom one.

with cruise control there is an additional digital speed sensor under the dash. the upper cable is a separate piece. if you want to ditch the cruise control you can order a lower cable on rockauto.

edit* or this https://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Engine-Per...spx?t_c=74&t_s=561&t_pt=7937&t_pn=CRO53009001

the gauge itself is mechanical but with cruise control it has a 2 wire speed sensor connected to the cruise control module. it sits between the upper and lower cables.

Back