• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turn signals

jfox21

NAXJA Forum User
my turn signals stopped working today. i just got back from a wheeling trip yesterday and they worked fine. then on my way to work today i noticed they didnt work. i'm thinking it's a fuse most likely. what do yall think?

Prolly the flasher...change that first....cheaper...
Flasher for TURN SIGS and HAZARDS are usually the same (at least on my 89')If the flashers work pull the flasher and put in where the flasher is for the turn sigs...if they work problem solved....Not too sure if this clear enough but...Flashers are opposite corners from each other...yours may or may not be the same...
fuse20application2um6af.jpg

Last edited:
churky89 said:
Prolly the flasher...change that first....cheaper...
Flasher for TURN SIGS and HAZARDS are usually the same (at least on my 89')If the flashers work pull the flasher and put in where the flasher is for the turn sigs...if they work problem solved....Not too sure if this clear enough but...Flashers are opposite corners from each other...yours may or may not be the same...
fuse20application2um6af.jpg

where is that fuse box located. is it the main one under the hood? thanks

That fuse panel is for an 89'XJ...It's located on the drivers side to the left of the steering column

The one that's in the engine compartment(not sure what year those started)
will have a cover with the fuse apps on the top...I think...

ya i just looked in the box. all the fuses looked fine. i didnt see the flasher. my jeeps a 98. what do you think is wrong? :(

I'd also start with the flasher. Try this - turn your Hazzard warning blinkers on. If they work, then the circuit and bulbs (take a walkaround and check those, while you're about it) are also fine. Since the Hazzards and Turn indicators work on different flasher units, it's entirely possible for one to pop, and not the other.

You should also have a "secondary distribution panel" underdash somewhere - probably on the firewall forward of your left knee. If you see a bunch of coloured plastic fuzes and two circular "cans" about 1" across in opposite corners, you're there. They should be labelled as to which is which, but they're cheap (if you get the standard part - #552) and replace both, or you can turn on the Hazzards and feel for one "clicking." The other one will be for your turn indicators - replace that. I think the thermal #552 flasher goes for about $4 each.

Another option is to get an "electronic" flasher that replaces #552, expect to pay ~$12 for each of those. Upside? They do last longer, and the flash rate doesn't change if you tow or replace the regular incandescent bulbs with LED's... I think I used Tridon EL12 units, but it should not be any trouble to look them up as well.

5-90

yah my hazards dont work either. i tried to look under the dash for fuses, but couldnt find the flashers. all i saw was a bunch of wires and the computer port. do you have to take off some of the panels to get to it? thanks

Back