• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ serpentine belt replacement

billfires

NAXJA Forum User
Could someone explain the procedure to loosen the serpentine belt on a 98 XJ? I tried loosening the long bolt by the top of the power steering pump(?) The bolt moved but the belt didn't loosen. I assume I'm missing a lock nut or something. Thanks for any help, Bill C

Loosen the bolt in the center of the adjustment pulley. It is used as a set screw to the adjustment bolt on the rear of the pulley. Adjust the bolt on the rear and take off put on the belt the readjust for tension and tighten (lightly) the pulley center bolt.

If you remove the electric fan its easyer to get to the belt and tentioner

Let me be the first to congratulate the engineers who designed the serp pulley system on my jeep. NEXT TIME, USE A FREAKING IDLER ARM LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE!!!!

No really. Thanks for this post, it helped alot:)

I agree also tension gauge is needed

Even the armoured personnal carriers had adjustable tensioning with a little gauge in the housing to see if the tension was correct.
One thing though, what you tkink is the correct pressure of 190lbs by your 'feel' is closer to 90lbs. Pick up a Krikit II from napa for $12 bucks and take the guesswork out of it..

Back