• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway Bar Ideas

waxer

JEEP APPRENTICE
Staff member
NAXJA Member
I'm looking for ideas here that a search was unable to produce...

92 XJ, 5.5" RE Lift (freshly installed), Spooled rear D44 with 4.88's, Locked front D30 with 4.88's, sitting on 33's... Originally built to handle the Hammers... I don't wheel that way any longer so I've been revamping it to handle more expeditionary type wheeling with the family.

Here lies the problem.... I had removed the stock sway bars completely, many years ago. In the front, I even cut off the passenger side sway bar mount from the axle. The drivers side still exists. The rear, I don't even remember if it came with on, but there is nothing there any longer and the D35 is long gone. A D44 lives there now.

While driving on the street, there is obviously a ton of sway that I have to deal with around corners and just overall driving that I want to "tame" and reduce. I realize the rear spool doesn't help around corners, but with no sway bars at all and soft suspension, it's pretty bad how it leans hard. I oversteer on purpose to get the suspension to level out and unbind, and that works for now. But I need something that won't allow so much sway to take place.

What I'm looking is to add sway bars back to it so it's safer to drive, flat tow to the trail, and just more manageable for my family and I. If I ever need to go "fun style", I'd like the quick disconnects... But with the front pass side sway bar mount on the axle being cut off, I'm unsure on what path to take here.

Do I:

• A - Weld on a new sway bar mount to the axle and install a stock sway bar in the front with extended /quick disco links?
  • B - Purchase a stronger than stock front sway bar kit and hopefully find one that includes new weld on tabs for the mounts on the axle?
  • C - Also purchase a stock rear sway bar kit?
  • D - Purchase an upgraded rear sway bar kit?
  • E - Something I'm not even thinking of?

I need opinions from those who have experience in something similar. As I stated, I was unable to find anything in a search relating to this type of scenario. I'm not looking to remove the spool or regear. I'd like something to add back regarding sway control and welding /fabrication is not a problem.

As always, thanks for your opinions and suggestion.

Steven

One of my friends has a ZJ swaybar on his XJ, you can throw that into a corner and it barely rolls, myself I run an Antirock because I don't mind the sway too much(the antirock actually stops quite a bit of it), and I don't want disconnects. I'm sure the spool doesn't help. Also, most XJs didn't have a rear sway bar. I'd just put on a stocker and go from there.

One of my friends has a ZJ swaybar on his XJ, you can throw that into a corner and it barely rolls, myself I run an Antirock because I don't mind the sway too much(the antirock actually stops quite a bit of it), and I don't want disconnects. I'm sure the spool doesn't help. Also, most XJs didn't have a rear sway bar. I'd just put on a stocker and go from there.

Thanks for your response. Obviously, I'd have to go to the junkyard to obtain the stock sway bar and bolt on mounts to the uni-frame. Threw that stuff away eons ago!! LOL

I can definitely try that and see how it goes. I would probably have to bring my cordless sawzall so I can cut off a stock sway bar mount on the axle of the donor vehicle so I can bring it back home and weld it back on, correcting how I cut that mount off of my axle.

JCR and TNT both have some good swaybar mounts for the axle. They do require welding though.

JCR and TNT both have some good swaybar mounts for the axle. They do require welding though.

Thanks for these. I did not like the idea of just rewelding on a stock sway mount to the axle.. those things are weak enough as it is. These look like nice upgrades. I like the TNT one a little better. 3/8" with a nice gusset. The JCR one looks very simple, but in 1/4".

I got both pics of these printed out and I'm going to go look at the axle and see what would work best for my setup.

Thanks again. Do you know if they sell upgraded frame mounts, or is it just stock bolt-ons with poly bushings is the only upgrade for that?

Thanks for these. I did not like the idea of just rewelding on a stock sway mount to the axle.. those things are weak enough as it is. These look like nice upgrades. I like the TNT one a little better. 3/8" with a nice gusset. The JCR one looks very simple, but in 1/4".

I got both pics of these printed out and I'm going to go look at the axle and see what would work best for my setup.

Thanks again. Do you know if they sell upgraded frame mounts, or is it just stock bolt-ons with poly bushings is the only upgrade for that?

I'd say no need to re invent the wheel on the frame end. Stock mounts should be fine.

I had the TNT mount, its beefy. Unfortunately I welded it wrong and it was hitting my springs so I had to cut it off. That's what I get for doing it before the axle was in the jeep.

I need to get my own welder and buy one again

Both sides need to be the same length, so, if you go with this, both sides need be changed.

That's where knowing how to fabricate comes into play. I can modify the bracket I buy to match the same height as the original.

Still looking into which option I like.. narrowed it down to the TNT or the other brand I posted above at 4 Wheel Parts.

I wouldn't even mess with a rear sway bar. I doubt you'd even notice a difference. I like the idea of the anti rockbecause it helps with sway and does not have to be disconnected.

Dallas makes a sway bar mount too:

http://www.stinkyfab.com/jeep-steering-and-brake-kit/sfr-over-the-top-sway-bar-brackets.html

I would suggest you plan on doing both sides. I would also suggest that you pick up your intended sway bar, frame mounts and disconnects first and then mock it up so you can estimate where you want your axle mounts to be. Pick your aftermarket axle mounts accordingly.

Thanks. After reassessing and looking at my needs, I think your suggestions are spot on.

I ended up ordering a new 28mm OEM sway bar by Dorman (thickest of the OEM choices), Energy suspension 28mm bushings and frame mounts, and JKS 2001 quicker disco links for 4" to 6" lifts.

I already have the JKS weld on track bar mount, so that's eliminating several sway bar bracket choices, as they weld in at the same spot. But I definitely like these mounts by Stinkyfab, as they go out the outside of the coil spring mounts and will clear fine. But I will do as you say and get everything bolted and mocked up first, then measure and assess which brackets will work best.

You can see my JKS track bar bracket here... Driver side OEM sway bar mount is also visible. So this is what I'm working with.

17436198_1399767663420758_1768604821081520561_o.jpg

A vendor PM'd me another choice that's made by Teraflex, which look good and are similar to the StinkyFab design, but have a slight bend inward. I checked other sites and this vendor sells them the cheapest. Thanks for that option!! Still might be a possibility after I get done with mock up.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and responses.

I have a similar set up to yours and I ditched my rear sway bar several years ago and never looked back. I was actually running no sway bars as a dd for about 4 years, largely on CO mountain roads, and liked it just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put a front sway from a 2000 Grand Cherokee on my 99. WOW, huge difference. Went from 26mm to 31mm. Cost me a whopping $21 from junk yard.

If you want to have some fun fabricating, check this out: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1090855.
I haven't done it yet but it looks like a great idea. I know folks I used to wheel with in Utah who absolutely love their Antirocks and this looks to be a good alternative.

Read the entire 5 page thread... Looks like it functions the same as the OEM sway bar, but can go beyond the OEM sway bar as far as strength goes.

I too wouldn't spend the money for the Currie Anti-Rock. I got the largest OEM sway bar (1.102") on the way, so I'll see how that option works out and can go from there.

Thanks for sharing that.. I got it bookmarked.

Last edited:
Back