• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad ground?? ARB bumper turn signals out of phase with xj signals

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my ARB bumper around 2000 and it's still going strong... HOWEVER I've always noticed (and thought it strange) that the turn signals on the ARB are always out of phase with the regular turn signals. This is odd to me since they ARB signals are simply 'piggybacked' to the regular ones from what I recall. My best guess as to what's going on is that the ARB signal lamp is also (somehow - though I can't seem to find the connection) grounded to the bumper, which of course is grounded to the unibody frame - and somehow I have the wires reversed - so that it's drawing power only on the 'off' position (sorry if that sounds confusing)

The other funny symptom (i'm guessing a result of this) is that my turn indicators glow half-strength on my dash when NOT turning... so clearly there's some kind of weird leakage going on here...

So the question is: should I simply try to dig out the leads and reverse the polarity of the ARB signal lamps? or is there something deeper going on here...?

Back