• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering issue

Fletchs90xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a problem with my power steering (or the inopertune lack there of).
For the last few weeks my power steering has no assist when making left turns. But not all the time. It always works going right. Is this just the box on its way out? It does have around 214K miles on it.
Any ideas? Thanks
Fletch

Well I went and got a new steering box today from the wrecker and he said if the didn''t fix the problem to bring it back and he'd exchange it fo a new pump or credit. So I can't lose really

Im curious...did the steering box fix your problem??

My steering is doing the exact same thing...o.k. to the right, sticky to the left.

I'm thinking it could be a pump issue too, but I'd like to hear how yours turned out first.

Thanks

If it's not supplying power boost when turning one direction ONLY, it's NOT the pump, it's the steering gear.

The steering gear box has a valve to direct power steering fluid. The valve is sticking going one direction. The easiest fix is to get a new junkyard steering gear, unless you are knowledgable on rebuilding Saginaw Steering gear boxes.

The box did solve the issue after that I had assist both ways. I also had a bad U joint so it made noise aswell when turning

VincentH said:
Thanks for the reply...looks like its off to the junkyard again (I actually enjoy going there, does that mean I have a sickness?)!!
Haha, nope, I'll go to a new yard just to check stuff out if I have a day with nothing to do. Often times I'll find Jeeps in the yard that the yard owners didn't know they had in there.....I can basically get every part I need from 2-3 yards if I needed them.

Back