• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Renix to 1995 HO Full Engine Swap

90renixxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 1990 Cherokee with a 4.0 and 5 speed. I have a 1995 HO engine from a 1995 Wrangler. Before I pull my engine what should i purchase for the swap? What manifolds, gaskets and throttle body do I use etc? Any information in the swap is appreciated Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruiser54.com

What is your plan for the EFI? Do you intend to keep the Renix system or are you going to swap in the OBD I system? This decision will drive nearly all of your choices.

In my case, its an 88 and my long term plan was to put on an aftermarket EFI system, most likely Megasquirt. You can get them with the proper connector to plug into the Renix harness without any modification. In the mean time I was going to run 99 intake and exhaust manifolds (dual outlet, no cats built into it) with the 04 t-body that came with the motor and the Hesco TPS adapter ($$$) The Renix t-body can be made to work via an adapter plate (bolt pattern). EGR is eliminated. Would need to add a boss to the crossover pipe for the single O2 sensor. Had Brown Dog make me a set of mounts for an 04 engine in an 88 while retaining the knock sensor. I don't remember a price difference, took a short time (not on the shelf), but I just called up and told him what I wanted to do and it was a done deal.

I speak in the past tense because it sits exactly as it did when I realized I didn't have enough time to finish it before winter. Bought a 94 XJ and it's just about "good enough" for what I want it to do. They're never done. I'm not sure yet whether I'll put the engine back in as is since I need to take it out again (HP44/88/35s turned into SD D60/11.5/38-40s).

All that being said, it's not a simple swap. If you're staying Renix and just want it to work, then you'll need to use a Renix head or use an adapter plate. The 91+ intake/exhaust will cover a Renix head just fine, but a Renix intake/exhaust won't cover the ports on a 91+ head. Basically just need to cut the Renix gasket out of metal and use one of each gasket (Renix and 91+).

It's really not that big a deal to swap in the OBD-I system. I assume the transmission controller and associated wiring would be needed due to the TPS change, but I don't know that for sure. I wanted '00+ WJ motor (alternator is on top) and that EFI system would not be so easy to swap.

A few years ago I was at the parts store and when the I told the guy I needed a sensor for an 88 XJ, he said get rid of that Renix or swap it out. Just can't get parts anymore. I haven't shopped for any 88 parts lately but ones for the 94 aren't getting any more common. If you're the least bit inclined, make the leap and either go Megasquirt or some other aftermarket or swap in the OBD-I system out of the 95. Either way, hope this helps, best of luck to you...

Back