• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

65k maintenance

mrkleene1

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 xj 4 door auto with 64k original miles. Looking for some guidance on which maintenance and replacement items i should be budgeting for. I run syn oil and replace every 5k, radiator was flushed 12k ago, brakes f & B were done at 45k. I have upgraded shocks, springs front lca's, discos, muffler, track bar, new tires and rims. I want to stay proactive and not let the parts get to worn out. any help would be great.:wave1:

I would extend oil change with synthetic to at least 10k. Change brake fluid at least every 2 years. Transfer case fluid and differential oil could be changed now that it is 10 years old. Power steering fluid change would be good too. Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor are about due also. Seems like that takes care of it. If you really want to be proactive, tstat could be changed, but that's going a little overboard as long as it's working good now.

thanks for the input. it has been a great vehicle and it has been fun to upgrade. it doesnt hurt that i have a really good friend who is always willing to help when i need him.

I would extend oil change with synthetic to at least 10k. Change brake fluid at least every 2 years. Transfer case fluid and differential oil could be changed now that it is 10 years old. Power steering fluid change would be good too. Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor are about due also. Seems like that takes care of it. If you really want to be proactive, tstat could be changed, but that's going a little overboard as long as it's working good now.

While I would agree with Winterbeater 99% of the time, I disagree on the oil change interval. How many miles do you drive in a year? Even synthetic oils become contaminated with combustion by products and atmospheric moisture. Synthetic oils main claim to fame is its resistance to heat and by extension its ablility to retain its lubricating properties for a longer period.

For fleet vehicle operations in high mileage/extreme service environments it is great, but without having regularly scheduled oil analysis done you can end up with problems, very, very expensive problems.

Personally, I run synthetic fluids in my differentials, transfer case, and transmission. In my engine I stick with Dino oil and change it every three months. Why? Because I just don't put enough miles on my xj, but I know the oil will start to breakdown from contamination.

Just my .02 worth.

I drive about 20k per year, mostly city miles. I usually pop the hood every 2 weeks and check to make sure everything is looking ok. My main concern were items like water pump, timing belt, bushings. Things that may not be evident to the casual eye.:patriot:

Check your water pump and fan clutch a few times a year for slop in the bearings, and of course watch for weeping from the pump. Old school radiator/heater hoses used to give some indications of age or impending failure, newer hoses are made better with better materials, so you probably should consider changing them on a schedule rather than rely on any visual indications.

At 20k a year mostly city driving I would expect brakes, spark plugs, air filter, etc. to need frequent attention. Follow the severe service intervals in the owners manual.

Back