• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Frame Rust Repair

Lurch1980

NAXJA Forum User
My windshield was pitted really badly and I though "why not pop it out and fix the rust while I'm at it..." Well what I thought was surface rust turned into a bit more....

5589209098_bed6dec32d.jpg

So now I'm thinking these are the steps to follow:

1) keep scrapping the rust out
2) cut out what's rusted through (just the flat part the metal the windshield gasket adheres too)
3) weld sheet metal in to replace what I cut out
4) spray some rust inhibitor on the stuff I don't need to cut out
5) prime
6) paint (rattle can?)

I know the steps are pretty basic, but am I missing anything or any tips anyone has? I've searched for "windshield frame rust" and I've found a couple of posts close to what I'm dealing with....

Thanks!

I'd take a sawzall to the local yard. Cut out the entire pillar that you need all the way up to the roof. Then drill out the spot welds, do the same on your jeep, and weld the new one in. Otherwise I feel like you're gonna be chasing this forever.

So I need to upload some more pics, but I took a knotty wire wheel to it and the rust does stop. It pretty much goes down in the corner and a little above the what you can see in the pics above.

I'm not sure about cutting out the a pillar on my Jeep and welding a new on in. I think I rather take my chances rebuilding the metal that makes up the frame. I don't want to compromise the structural integrity.

Yeah, this scenario right here has me scared. I know there's a rust bubble on the top of my passenger A pillar. I just don't want to know how bad it really is.

Lurch, I think you have the right idea with trying to rebuild, rather then scab in a new piece.
Worst case scenario, you screw it up, and have to weld in a junkyard pillar anyway. :D

Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

I've been behind on other projects so the Jeep has been sitting, but I'm back at it and here's an update.

I cut out the really bad rust and cleaned up the not so bad rust. Then I took some sheet metal and formed a new replacement piece. I plan on welding that in ( I finally got a argon/CO2 bottle :D ) and preping the metal with POR15 (wow that stuff is pricey). Then I'll cover it with some sort of top coat. I'll post pics in a little bit.

I did this on my 97. for what the truck is to me i wire wheeled everything out filled in what i could with weld bondoed some of the low spots then had a windshield company come and reset my windshield then after a couple days i siliconed it all. i did that 3 years ago and last week i was out of town. my truck sat outside and of course it was raining all week. i had a very little wet spot in one corner.

Wire wheel the rust, use por 15 and cut small triangle fiberglas patches, put the patches in the por 15 to patch the hole, no need to use fiberglass resin it gets plenty hard in the mix. THe por 15 will keep the rust from comming back, then use a urethane primer on all the exposed metal (do not put primer on top of the old urethane glue.) Then notch a nice size ^ in the tip of the urethane gun and apply the bead set the glass and you are done. Dont use silicon to glue in your windshield in a roll over it will fly out also some silicon promote rust if you use the incorrect one.

I'd take a sawzall to the local yard. Cut out the entire pillar that you need all the way up to the roof. Then drill out the spot welds, do the same on your jeep, and weld the new one in. Otherwise I feel like you're gonna be chasing this forever.

dan man's the man on this one. if your guna do it, do it right :thumbup:

Bronze.

Back