• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me pick out a long arm upgrade

I had the Rough Country radius arms for a while, biggest complaint was that the arms and t case skid hung down too low and got bashed into a lot of stuff. Upgraded to the IRO rock link which has great clearance, and built a belly pan at the same time.

If this was posted 6 months or so ago, I would have said Clayton. Now with SFRs new 4 link out, theres no reason for anybody to have radius arms anymore. Including myself.

honestly there isn't any reason to have radius arms, a lot of companies are producing 3 and 4 links now

Except the higher ground clearance! :doh:

This may be a complete dumb question, but does the SFR 4 link kit require a track bar? It's hard to tell the geometry setup fronm their pics but with factory D30 mounting points it seems you would need to run a track bar.

Yes it require a trackbar.

Double triangulated 4 links dont package on XJs well and don't like Saginaw steering.

Huh? How would radius arms provide better ground clearance?

Because most 4-link's mount the lower control arm below the frame rail.

Because most 4-link's mount the lower control arm below the frame rail.

Unless you are hacking the crap out to make a flat belly I fail to see the negligible difference in clearance. Both kits still have a cross member that 99% of the time will mount below the frame. If there is one that doesn't I would be interested to see it. Your lower mounts aren't going to be able to mount above the frame without some heavy modification. Granted the TnT kit has bend in the lower arms but still mounts below the frame......

you can tuck the lowers at a reasonable height or even flat belly it if you want. the bigger problem is getting good vertical separation to the upper on a 3 or 4 link. that would require going through the floor.

the manufactured crossmembers ive measured have somewhere between 24-27" of horizontal separation between the lowers at the frame. so yes, they do, in fact, inboard them towards the vehicle center line. dont let RCP's usage of exclamation marks lead you to believe otherwise. this is done for tire clearance at full lock, a track bar is still needed for cross car locating of the axle.

There are pro's/con's to everything. Radius arms "can" work when set-up properly. My arms are straight but mounted higher and further inboard than the TNT so I hardly have a scratch on them.
17520001_zps8bza4aor.jpg

Back