• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Adjustable Tracbar Recommendation

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
After 1 year and 15000 miles I need to replace my IRO tracbar. The weld in bung has wollowed out - just like it has for a few other friends who bought them. Overall, I'm not really impressed with their tracbars.

The Jam nut was tightened and lock tited on, and the bung still wollowed out. I'm worried that one harsh pot hole and the tierod end is going to come right out of the tracbar itself. I have tried a new tierod end and it is still lose in there.

I'm not sure if it's an IRO problem, or if it's just something that is going to happen with this style. Unfortunately, that's all I am finding for adjustable tracbars.

I would hate to throw a cheap rough country one on it, but seems like I may end up going that route. I bought the "best" and it didn't quite work. Nor did it for anyone else I know.

Don't want to go double shear because I don't run enough lift, and from what I can tell they all change the tracbar angle and I'd have to play with drop pitman arms to get that right.

You sound like a candidate for Kevin's off-road!

You sound like a candidate for Kevin's off-road!

Excellent choice. Been using one on my 2001 XJ for ten years.
Consider upgrading to the super-hard bushings.

Double shear is really the way to go. Most of the double shear TB mounts have the same mounting height. Lots of people run the IRO double shear TB/mount with success. That is probably your least expensive option.
RE uses a narrow mount, so you could run the RE1600 in double shear with their mount.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/jeep_adjustable_front_trackbar_wbracket_1984_2001_xjzj
Clayton has stock mount height TB bracket, and they recommend their TB for 3-6"

Double sheer is the way to go. I have lots of highway and trail miles on my IRO double sheer track bar, no problems. I have about 30,000 miles on a Rusty's tie rod end track bar that I bought used with unknown mileage, it works for the daily driver. I not would run nor recommend to anyone a tie rod end type track bar for a 4x4 that see anything more than light 4x4 trails.

Don't want to go double shear because I don't run enough lift, and from what I can tell they all change the tracbar angle and I'd have to play with drop pitman arms to get that right.
So, tell us more about your XJ. I feel there are options you have not found in your searches.

I ran a Kevin's tracbar for 10 years with no issues. Used the stock bushings it came with but also got a set of the hard ones just in case. Still have it on my totaled Jeep and it will go on my new one if I can find a nice one, which seems about impossible nowadays.

Not an xj but had the iron rock on the wife's WJ and it held up really well to a chevy 1500 that tore the long arm brackets out of the unibody rails...

I've been using the RE1660/1665/1670 combo for quite a pwhile and it's solid as hell, but so are most of the other options presented. If you go the RE route, go through Serious Off-Road (vendor on here). Cheapest prices I found.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly hard on the Jeep. It has 2.5'' of lift in the front due to winch bumper and winch, but I'll be going back up to 3.5'' soon. 32'' tires, not a rock bouncer but do rock crawling so not 100% sure why the tracbar failed.

I'm thinking I will look in to the RE one and then check KOR. It's hard to find them for smaller lifts where most people would still be running stock. I still do have a good, stock, trac bar.

What welded bung are you talking about? The bushing end? I know my track bar from iro was drilled and tapped no bung. That thing did bend but the axle c bent and the d30 tube twisted in the housing

I wouldn't say I'm particularly hard on the Jeep. It has 2.5'' of lift in the front due to winch bumper and winch, but I'll be going back up to 3.5'' soon. 32'' tires, not a rock bouncer but do rock crawling so not 100% sure why the tracbar failed.

I'm thinking I will look in to the RE one and then check KOR. It's hard to find them for smaller lifts where most people would still be running stock. I still do have a good, stock, trac bar.
I bought the RE 1600 for my XJ when I had it boosted to 2". I did not like mounting on the frame end, so I welded some steel to the factory bracket and rotated the spherical rod end 90*. A couple years after that I heard about the Kevin's Off Road bracket.

My home brew bracket and RE 1600 are still on my XJ with 4" of lift.

I guess I should say that my Kevin's bar/bracket has well over 100k miles and the bushings are still good. Went from stock height to 4" over the years with it after a new Moog still had steering shake. Kevin's bar fixed that.

I bought the RE 1600 for my XJ when I had it boosted to 2". I did not like mounting on the frame end, so I welded some steel to the factory bracket and rotated the spherical rod end 90*. A couple years after that I heard about the Kevin's Off Road bracket.

My home brew bracket and RE 1600 are still on my XJ with 4" of lift.
When I first lifted my XJ, about 2" lift this was the first TB setup I had.
I bought the parts and mount pre-modified, but had zero issues.

Back