• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine sounds like a diesel

Alwaysdutch

NAXJA Forum User
Lately I noticed that when the engine is warmed up, and I sit in traffic, the engine starts to sound like an old fashion diesel. I can hear it up to about 1,300 rpm.

Any ideas on what that could be?

some say piston slap. some say valve train noise. i think i red here that the lifters get stuck and stop rotating and that bringing the engine up to ~4k for a moment will free them.

Thanks for the replies. Other than the issue described on my other thread, this engine is quite, runs 18.5 mpg, and seems smooth. I put in a cheap oil so it could clean the engine by changing it again after just a few weeks, which is now.

Another possible explanation would be a cracked spacer plate. Mine started rattling like crazy and when I pulled up to a buddy's place he ask if I had a diesel. The noise would go away under load, but return at idle. Because I'm too old to do this s**t myself anymore I had a transmission place do it. Between the body armor and having to pull the tranny it ended up costing me $800, but that did it.

It could be piston slap. But honestly its likely just lifter noise. Its normal to hear a little knocking now and again when you first start these on a cold day but not once warm or while driving.

Ours has knocked pretty darn loud since around 1995 (it's a 1991 model). After 360k miles it hasn't given up the ghost yet. Over the years i've asked folks what it is. Most common answer is lifters.

Back