• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Upgrade Planning

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a LP Dana 30 that gets abused a lot and want to upgrade. I have a Currie Rock Jock Sterring system that I would like to use on the replacement axle. The axles that I have been considering are Dana 60 F250 or 350 HP ball joint, Dana 44 ford HP and Dana 44 Wagoneer non vacuume disco LP. What would you go with and why? I want to save were I can so if any of these axles come with 4.56 or 4.88 gears that would be great. I also want to keep my Currie steering system. Any I put would be helpful.

Thank you.

so... not to be rude, but your question(s) gives me the impression that you dont know a lot about swapping axles and/or arent ready to tackle something like this yourself. which is fine, we all started somewhere. but to really help, lets backtrack...

what is your intended use? what is the desired tire size? and what is wrong with the 30 that you feel you need to move onto something bigger?

I know a lot about axles and fabricating I won't have any problems putting an axle under my rig. I don't plan on putting a new axle in until I step up to 36's. At this point I am trying to find out what I can use from my current set up and what axle I should go with. If I can't use the Currie stering then Maybee I should look at flat top nuckles instead of ball joints. I am currently on 33,s and the D30 is bent but still operational. Again thinks for the help.

On the 2000 and 2001 model years you can run into a conflict between the exhaust down pipe/s and a larger hp pumpkin. I put a Currie hp 9" up front. I ended up having (have done) to do some rerouting below the pre-cats. Lift height helps some too but was not enough on its own.

To clarify : King Pin Outers.

On the 2000 and 2001 model years you can run into a conflict between the exhaust down pipe/s and a larger hp pumpkin. I put a Currie hp 9" up front. I ended up having (have done) to do some rerouting below the pre-cats. Lift height helps some too but was not enough on its own.

My Jeep is from Arizona and does not have precats do you think I will still have interference issues?

you probably will yes

you will not be able to re-use your steering on any of those axles

none of them came with the gearing options you're interested in.

So I can't use my sterring and none the axles come with 4.56 or 4.88 gears and all of the HP axles will make contact with the oil pan or down pipes. From what I have researched the only axle that I will not need to shorten is the Waggy 44 are there other HP options that will not have interference issues ?

So I can't use my sterring and none the axles come with 4.56 or 4.88 gears and all of the HP axles will make contact with the oil pan or down pipes. From what I have researched the only axle that I will not need to shorten is the Waggy 44 are there other HP options that will not have interference issues ?

HP30

If my only option is LP is the Waggy the best choice ? I figure if I need to get a LP why not go big with a 60 ?

IslanderOffroad

I noticed you recently installed a TJ Rubi 44. Do you have picks of it installed ? Have you had a chance to test it out ?

IslanderOffroad

I noticed you recently installed a TJ Rubi 44. Do you have picks of it installed ? Have you had a chance to test it out ?

Haven't had it out other than a beach trip so far. Didn't even need 4wd for that.

That looks good with that setup you were able to stay with 5 on 4.5 correct ? Did you keep the factory locker ?

That looks good with that setup you were able to stay with 5 on 4.5 correct ? Did you keep the factory locker ?

I bought it with ARB already swapped in.

It's still 5 on 4.5 but I'm using adapters to run JK wheels

My Jeep is from Arizona and does not have precats do you think I will still have interference issues?

You may but without the pre-cats dictating your rerouting you will probably have more flexibility than I did / do. OTOH, I don't have any issues with oil pan clearance.

That would save me a lot of money but I don't think it (hp d30) will hold up no matter what I do to make it stronger.
Don't tell that to Cal.

Back