• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boot13's Build Thread

I find it odd that you broke a shaft on the road. When I had that axle, I was on 37s and drove it frequently on the road with no problems. Also, I highly suggest you measure the spindles to ensure there is enough material for boring them. Because that came out of a 73 Dodge W300, it may not have large enough spindles. I never measured them when I had it since I already had another 60 to go in its place.

I was surprised it broke too. I think it was just turning a little too sharp out of the stop sign it was less than a 90 deg turn, so pretty sharp I should of known better. I had put plenty of miles on it too and it had been great, just a little chirpy while parking.

The spindles are already around 1.5" ID (quick tape measure measurement I took to figure out PVC pipe size for magnet) and from what I have gathered they need to be 1.56" ID to hold the 35 spline. So that basically 1/32" of material needs to be removed from all around the inside.

I do need to get a precise measurement and I will be doing that this weekend. I may not need to bore it all. Fingers crossed.

I was surprised it broke too. I think it was just turning a little too sharp out of the stop sign it was less than a 90 deg turn, so pretty sharp I should of known better. I had put plenty of miles on it too and it had been great, just a little chirpy while parking.

The spindles are already around 1.5" ID (quick tape measure measurement I took to figure out PVC pipe size for magnet) and from what I have gathered they need to be 1.56" ID to hold the 35 spline. So that basically 1/32" of material needs to be removed from all around the inside.

I do need to get a precise measurement and I will be doing that this weekend. I may not need to bore it all. Fingers crossed.

Good stuff. Just wanted to chime in and make sure it was all checked before you spent a bunch of money on something that might now work

I find it odd that you broke a shaft on the road. When I had that axle, I was on 37s and drove it frequently on the road with no problems. Also, I highly suggest you measure the spindles to ensure there is enough material for boring them. Because that came out of a 73 Dodge W300, it may not have large enough spindles. I never measured them when I had it since I already had another 60 to go in its place.

Well it was nice out and I got a chance to get a better measurement ID was 1.45" and they are in fact too small to bore out. :doh: The limiting factor is that little notch that the spindle washer uses.

I'll just keep it 30 spline as originally intended. Hasta

That sucks. Hopefully the limited slip keeps things happy. Also, hopefully it was just a fatigued shaft in the first place.

Back