• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Size Help

tuckholladay

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a RE 3.5" kit on a 1999. I think I finally have everything together correctly and am ready to pull the trigger on tires. I went to a shop today to ask them about ordering me some tires and mounting and doing my alignment. I told him I wanted 31x10.5x15 and he was trying to talk me into larger tires.

I have done plenty or research and I am pretty sure 31s are the size I should be getting if I dont want to do any cutting not to mention regearing. I mean I would like bigger, but I am right in this situation right? Stick with 31s for now until I decide to go higher and regear ect?

I would stick with 31". You will prob want to re-gear with anything bigger. You will def want bigger tires down the road if you wheel. I regetting not getting the larger size that I originally wanted but at the time I didnt want to regear etc.

You can probably fit a 32x11.50 without trimming, and it would look a little more aggressive, but if your plan is to not regear i would stick with a 30 or 31.

I just installed a RE 3.5" kit on a 1999. I think I finally have everything together correctly and am ready to pull the trigger on tires. I went to a shop today to ask them about ordering me some tires and mounting and doing my alignment. I told him I wanted 31x10.5x15 and he was trying to talk me into larger tires.

I have done plenty or research and I am pretty sure 31s are the size I should be getting if I dont want to do any cutting not to mention regearing. I mean I would like bigger, but I am right in this situation right? Stick with 31s for now until I decide to go higher and regear ect?

Tuck, I am in the same boat. I have been over a year gettin to this point and my thinking is just put the 31s on and call it done, but I know a month after I pull the trigger I'll be wantin bigger. I'd like to see some pics when you get-r-done

When I installed my 31s I was no longer happy with the stock brakes. You might be different. I used the stock rear drums that came with my XJ Dana 44 as they were already larger than the brakes on the Dana 35 I had removed. I installed Powerstop pads and rotors that came in a matched set. Never regretted that decision!!

I'm running 33x10.5 with 4.56 gears,auto trans and wish I still was on 31's. 31's take me anywhere I can go on 33's and I loved the power with 31's

Tuck, I am in the same boat. I have been over a year gettin to this point and my thinking is just put the 31s on and call it done, but I know a month after I pull the trigger I'll be wantin bigger. I'd like to see some pics when you get-r-done

Tire envy is real and it hits hard. I too, thought I'd be forever happy on 31s. they stuff incredibly well with mild trimming. For my 4.5" lift, required no bumpstopping, so I got full uptravel in suspension. Then I went on a ride other jeepers. Had to have 33s. I'm still usually shortest jeep in the crew with 4.5" on 33s. I priced 35s the other day just for grins as my 33's are getting rashed and chunking a bit.

Mine's a trail rig, so gearing isn't an issue for me on 33's. I don't mind driving it down the road either, but have flat terrain around here and never have it loaded or towing.

Ask 100 people this question and you'll get 100 answers on what works. I have only just traded in the 31's for a 265 which measures around 32. Locked front and rear, 4.11 gears, 5.5" lift.. I've never wanted for anything on the trail nor have I ever found myself being "too small." I simply know my capability as a driver,, the capability of my rig, and operate accordingly.

I'm running 33x10.5 with 4.56 gears,auto trans and wish I still was on 31's. 31's take me anywhere I can go on 33's and I loved the power with 31's

31s on 4.56!! how do you keep rubber on the tires?? bet its a torque monster

It all depends on what you want to do with your rig. I personally was about to get some 33s as that's what a lot of guys in the MWC run. Even though of 35s and a full axle swap. But now I'm fine with 31's as mine is a DD, and I don't really want to do any hardcore wheeling. I can keep up with my family when we go wheeling with 35s. Just had to get over tire envy. Now if it was a trail rig, I'd do 33s for sure.

I took a bit of about 4-5MPG going from 235/75/15s to 31s though. 19mpg down to 14mpg on a good day

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I took a bit of about 4-5MPG going from 235/75/15s to 31s though. 19mpg down to 14mpg on a good day

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat as you. Love my 31s, but definitely lost the same amount of MPG. My biggest issue is that I live at 5,000 ft in hilly terrain. Now that it's cold, I'm down in the 11s for MPG sometimes.

1935799_1170065098607_5955332_n_zpsuqptwox0.jpg

I ran this setup 32's on a RE 3.5 superflex lift on my 93 for a couple years.

No trimming, rubbed the splashguards a touch at full stuff when cranked over, but nothing bad enough to concern me. Backspacing will likely make a huge difference here.

Stock gearing with my AW4 was adequate, certainly gear hunted alot on the freeway with any noticeable uphill, honestly I think the overoverdrive gearing actually worked for my driving style, roughly 16-18mpg daily. Off-road, I just used low range a little more than I otherwise would have.

Switched to 33's now, and there's no way I could get away with stock gearing or fenders.

Last edited:
[QUOTE} I took a bit of about 4-5MPG going from 235/75/15s to 31s though. 19mpg down to 14mpg on a good day[/QUOTE]
I had a good time going from 235/75R15s to 33x10.50R15
235s I was getting 21-22mpg then the 33s I dropped to 10-12, I think once I regear ill gain a few back cuz 3.07s and 33s isn't a pleasant mix, 4.10s will fix that when I get the green :rof:

That's a lot of BS, I got nervous with my 33x10.50s, once I got em on I was glad I didn't go with 33x12.50, they woulda rubbed the leaf springs, they still rub the control arms at full lock but im gonna get diff wheels eventually. plus I like the looks of the 33x10.50s better

You can probably fit a 32x11.50 without trimming, and it would look a little more aggressive, but if your plan is to not regear i would stick with a 30 or 31.

Can you give me some suggestions on this 32x11.50x15? Or do I need to get a bigger rim?

Back