• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring relays switches and lighting.

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj 185,000 up country: RE 3.5 31s, stock electronics.

my jeep was equipped with fogs from the factory. I have an after market bumper and took the broken fog lamps off years ago while tucking the plugs into the grill area.

I am wanting to add a putco wiring harness for the headlights. Currently i have been testing the fog wiring with a test light. I started by grounding the test light to the battery and tested the fog plugs by the bumper, neither lit up. I then tested all of the fuses in the PDC because i cant find any info on which ones are for fogs. two fuses did not light up. upon this i pulled the dash cover and removed the fog switch. Testing the fog lead to the switch i have light. I go back to the PDC fuses with the switch removed and now all of the fuses light up the tester.

I pulled the relay and tested it with alligator clips on the battery positive and negative to the relay. the relay clicked. I then left the power hooked up and added clips from the multimeter set to ohm on 20. the meter shows 1. so if ive tested it correctly its bad i think.

Questions:

1) how do i test the rocker fog switch itself?

2) what Fuses in the pdc go to the fogs. there are no numbers or diagrams ive seen that represent this. the pdc cover labels relays only, and what is the fog Drl vs just the fog relay?

3) As ive said i would like to add a head light harness, is there any option that allows me to run the fogs from the factory switch independently from the head lights?

thank you for any help im terrible at this stuff.

Ohm the switch..........that will tell you if its working.

Forget the factory wiring/relay...........headlight or fog.

New harness for both.

If you cannot get the fog circuit to operate....ie..........trigger the new relay/harness........pull one ground wire to the stock fog switch to the new fog relay.

You are providing a completely new circuit for the headlights and fogs. Yes, the headlights need to work currently........your trigger wires are taken from the end of the stock harness, at the headlight....to the new harness/relay. But the fog/driving/bar light can be triggered from the headlight circuit or the dash switch.

when i test the switch am i checking all 4 pins?

i would like wire the fogs so i can turn them on/off even if the headlights are off or on high/low beam keeping them independent with their own switch.

Ohm the switch..........that will tell you if its working.

Forget the factory wiring/relay...........headlight or fog.

New harness for both.

If you cannot get the fog circuit to operate....ie..........trigger the new relay/harness........pull one ground wire to the stock fog switch to the new fog relay.

You are providing a completely new circuit for the headlights and fogs. Yes, the headlights need to work currently........your trigger wires are taken from the end of the stock harness, at the headlight....to the new harness/relay. But the fog/driving/bar light can be triggered from the headlight circuit or the dash switch.

how do i use the stock fog switch to run the fogs as auxiliary lighting . I want them to function separate from the headlights in case they went out so one or the other would work.

thank you

Back