• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AAT Sat. January 21, Sun January 22.

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Assuming tomorrow's test drive of the Jeep works out I'll be up on the mountain doing work this weekend. I know this is short notice, the entire trip was up in the air until I could get my driveline bolted into the Jeep.

SATURDAY, January 21 - 2N49 Maintenance
Meet Point 09:00 AM 2N49 SOUTH END / PALM AVE
The main focus for Saturday is general maintenance and checking for storm damage.

SATURDAY NIGHT CAMPING
Volunteers for either or both days are welcome to camp with us on at the North Shore Work Center. Please RSVP for camping so I am expecting your arrival as we are behind a locked gate. North Shore Work Center has flush toilets, showers, and flat camping.

SUNDAY, January 22
Meet Point: 9:00 AM North Shore Work Center.
Sunday's plan is still up in the air as it depends on how much help I have. I'll either take it as a rest day, do 2N49, or if we can get at least two more built rigs (and one with a winch) we can tackle 2N04 which may well be full of snow.

COMMUNICATIONS
CB Radio: The fours. We'll start on 4, if busy we'll bump up to 14, 24, or 34.
2m: 146.585 Simplex

What do I need?
Any vehicle that can do a USFS-rated moderate trail (Stock XJ, okay). Gotta be 4x4 this weekend due to weather.

Bring gloves, a hat, and loppers. Please bring light long sleeve shirts for brush work. Closed toe shoes mandatory. You'll want to toss chains in the rig to keep the CHP happy.

Please RSVP if you plan to attend so I can plan.

Remember folks, you can always come out and work with us on one day and go wheeling the next. You're not committed to working both days if you don't want to.

Thank you for your time, it is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm in for at least Saturday.

UPDATE : Geoff is running late and I'm still at the house trying to figure out why the MJ won't start. It seems to have something to do with cold mornings.

Looks like 12:30 for meeting up at the end of Palm/2N49.

Guess I'm late, just saw this thread. I've got the jeep all torn apart for frame stiffeners. Maybe next time :(

Guess I'm late, just saw this thread. I've got the jeep all torn apart for frame stiffeners. Maybe next time :(

Not to worry. Our intrepid leader was kind of in a rut off and on during the day.

20170121_132801.jpg

So when he's on foot he takes the line of a blind man with his laces tied together.

When he's driving he pretty much does the same. This is a different rut. there were plenty.

20170121_130201.jpg

But instead of his shoe laces he leaves his sway bars connected.:dunce:

20170121_130343.jpg

All the flex of a skateboard.

COMPLETELY oblivious!

20170121_130320.jpg

Completely.

The reaction from those other guys was funny. Going in to it I thought about them but figured hey, it's 2N49, like I'll need to disconnect.

oh well, it was fun and got the kids hearts beating!

Ruts aside it the trail was in rare form for this part of the country. Sure there was nearly a foot of snow at the highest elevations, and plenty along all of the back (shaded) sides almost all the way to Silverwood; but is was all the water that was most amazing. ALL of the streams and little creeks were running. The water was flowing clear not the brown runoff that we're used to directly following or during a heavy rain. The oak, willow, sycamore and dogwood trees were barren but the hills were green. One of the best parts? NO trail dust!

There ought to be a strong showing from the wildflowers this spring.

Last edited:
20170121_130201.jpg

But instead of his shoe laces he leaves his sway bars connected.:dunce:

20170121_130343.jpg

All the flex of a skateboard.

From that first pic I was going to say "Wow. He has all five tires in contact."

:looney:

That is funny. I didn't notice that he was that close to being sitting on all five.

Tom, you may be on to something there; a PTO powered tire carrier.

I'm heading back up tomorrow to put some stakes and caution tape around a cave in on the I-215 side of the trail. I'm only going to go up as far as the gully in the pics G's rig is sitting in. I don't expect it to be any wider but it ought to be a good foot or two deeper. Don't think the MJ will get across it this time out.

I'm only going to go up as far as the gully in the pics G's rig is sitting in. I don't expect it to be any wider but it ought to be a good foot or two deeper. Don't think the MJ will get across it this time out.

Well it was about a foot deeper and I could see where a couple of people turned around. I opted to throw judgment out the window and give it a try. I made it with a couple Oh Sh!t moments. There's just something about wheeling open/open that gets your blood pumping.

Any ways, back to the task at hand:

20170126_104345.jpg

The stakes didn't go in the straightest. I'm gonna blame that on rocks. You can see the sheet metal gutter that used to sit at trail level. The gulley it's in is about 10 feet deep.

20170126_111817.jpg

LOTS of tape. It runs three to four feet out into the trail from the cave in. Some areas had opened up another foot with the rain Monday into Tuesday.

20170126_111803.jpg

20170126_112154.jpg

20170126_111847.jpg

All taped off. I may have got a little carried away with the tape but I wanted not only the stupid people to see it, but the blind people as well.

As I was pulling off the trail to head home I ran into a gentleman from the Forest Service that was there to survey the rain damage. There are plenty of ruts, and for the time being it's a much tougher trail than it used to be. The damage is mostly limited to the upslope side facing the valley. The upper elevations and the back side saw mostly snow so it didn't get the heavy run-off.

Unfortunately there is A Lot of trash that we need to haul out on the next workday. It's going to take a few people and some rope to get to some of it. There's more than enough to fill the bed of one pick-up truck; and that's not counting the usual trash people dump in the empty lot adjacent to the trail head.

:skull2: There are people in this world you just want to beat.

Yes I'd love to see two trucks and maybe even my trailer (or the USFS one, not sure mine will be assessable by the next trip out). I'll work on figuring out scheduling.

I'm also going to talk to Greg about waterbars, maybe we can get Danny and the tractor out, scheduling and permission pending.

Edison does tractor up to their power lines. I would suggest a thorough photo documentation of the overside drains. Sometimes they get blocked/damaged by the grader.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Edison graded in the fall. The drains were clear prior to this past rain episode. We just got that much rain here, especially in the up-slope areas. The snow line also dropped a couple times followed by heavy rains making runoff even heavier.

I was at a friends house about a mile from the trailhead at Palm the Saturday after Thanksgiving, not one of the days of the heaviest rains and it rained like a SOB. There was a lot of water.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Back