• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sudden hard start,Rough idle, bogging and stalling!

1990Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all! It's been awhile since my last post. My jeep, 1990 XJ Cherokee Pioneer has been running like a top for over a year now with no problems. So, I'm due for some issues. I started it after work yesterday and immediately noticed that it took about three times longer than usual for it to start, usually it fires right up! On the drive home I felt it bogging down, hesitating with acceleration and a low,rough idle speed. I gave it a look over at home, the spark plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap all are fine. I couldn't find any loose or disconnected vacuum hoses. I added a bottle of injector cleaner and let it run for a bit, I'm not convinced at all that that is the problem. At one point I manually gave it throttle near the air intake and occasionally noticed a muffled popping sound from the air filter box. I'm wondering if it is that exhaust/intake mechanism that is controlled by some sort of vacuum switch. It has a louvre inside that open and closes. It was in the closed position the whole time, blocking the hose that goes off the exhaust. I'm not sure exactly how this works, could be totally unrelated. The ignition system seems to be operating properly, there is plenty of spark! ANY THOUGHTS ARE GREATLY APPRICIATED AS ALWAYS! THANKS AGAIN NAXJA!

Try to let it warm up for about 10 to 15min. Then drive it and see what it does.

Also check the vacuum plug for the map sensor at the throttle body to ensure that it is not clogged.

I let it idle last night for about 15 minutes, then drove it around the block. I barely made it back up the drive way! Is the vacuum plug for the map sensor on the outside of the throttle body? At one point while it was struggling to idle, I pressed the accelerator and absolutely nothing changed with the in rpms for about 10 seconds, then it revved up a bit.

Sounds like a fuel pump or a plugged cat.

It will do that for various reasons, most already mentioned. It may also do this if the CPS is marginal and/or the wires for the CPS are cooking in the rear of the exhaust manifold.

I disconnected the large air intake tube that goes to the air intake and gave it some throttle. It is kind of backfiring out of it, small explosions really of fuel.. Nothing to scary but I could see that when it didn't respond to me giving it throttle it would suddenly burn the collected fuel in there. The vacuum plug at the map sensor is not plugged , after me removing the plug I broke the small vacuum line that goes to some sort of sensor that is mounted to the back fire wall. I will have to find a new vacuum line. Still a mystery as to why it's running like crap! I will continue to trouble shoot tonight.

Low fuel pressure will cause the problem you describe.

Could be bad fuel pump, fuel pump ballast resistor or it's connections, split or collapsed hose to the fuel pump in the fuel tank. A fuel pressure test is in order.

Back