• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saggy Leaf Springs-Looking for Stock Height

vikingxj

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a new-to-me XJ and the rear springs are a little saggy, so it has a reverse rake to it. I'd like to get an add-a-leaf spring or something to give it the original stance. I'm not planning on lifting this one, so I'm just sticking with stock, or at least as close to stock, height as possible.

Is there a good kit out there or would I be better served to just buy two new spring packs?

stay away from add a leafs, id just bit the bullet and get new spring packs. depending on rust id get new bolts for them too. Rockauto has good prices on springs.

Check out Monroe sensation-trac load adjusting shocks.
They are replacement shocks with coil springs to help with the load on a tired suspension.

I've got them on a old xj with tired springs, the stance looks good now.

I will say the are a pain to install uncompressed, I don't know if the come compressed cause we got them open box. Just make sure you have a big enough jack to lift the body high enough the bottom of the shocks line up on the axel.

There may be better ideas out the, these are cheap and easy possible solution .

041df14af338d2bd2d42d2c19b541254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dorman replacement leafs.

They are replacement shocks with coil springs to help with the load on a tired suspension.

I will say the are a pain to install uncompressed, I don't know if the come compressed cause we got them open box. Just make sure you have a big enough jack to lift the body high enough the bottom of the shocks line up on the axel.

Looks like a set of motorcycle shocks!

My plan is to add some air shocks to mine.

Looks like a set of motorcycle shocks!

My plan is to add some air shocks to mine.

All of our XJ's, plus our last 2 vans (an '87 Chevy G20 and an '06 Town and Country) all ended up with airshocks, we mainly ran NAPA's on the XJ's and G20 while the T&C has Gabriel's. After getting the Gabriel shocks, Dad recommends those over the NAPA's, turns out the Gabriels have the air bladder covered by the shock body while the NAPAs are exposed to potential enviromental damage.

Just replace the springs. They're not that expensive. Why spend money on fancy parts to hide the fact that you still have trashed springs? If you put $100 shocks next to blown leafs, they aren't going to last very long and you'll be right back in the same position. Do it right the first time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

All of our XJ's, plus our last 2 vans (an '87 Chevy G20 and an '06 Town and Country) all ended up with airshocks, we mainly ran NAPA's on the XJ's and G20 while the T&C has Gabriel's. After getting the Gabriel shocks, Dad recommends those over the NAPA's, turns out the Gabriels have the air bladder covered by the shock body while the NAPAs are exposed to potential enviromental damage.

This will be my first time mounting air shocks. Can you post a picture of how you have them mounted?

Looks like I'll just save the cash up and buy the new spring packs. I have to replace the blower motor along with the neutral safety switch. This Jeep is costing me a pretty penny and it was supposed to be CHEAP! :gee:

Its a 1998 basic model Cherokee. Manual windows and locks, auto tranny, former government vehicle. 154K miles, and I think I'll have to flush the heater core and radiator. I might do a radiator cleaner too from a bottle. I have the Prestone brand and Blue Devil brand...is one better than the other?

I would be worried about the condition of the upper shock mount on the body. That much force could rip or fold that area possibly

This will be my first time mounting air shocks. Can you post a picture of how you have them mounted?

They bolt in just like stock and include clips that you need to drill holes in the unibody to run the lines to where you want the fill valve to be. I think Dad just drilled holes in the back bumpers of his and my Sister's XJ and mine is run to the cage for the trailer wiring. one thing that he did suggest to do is to run a fill valve for each shock instead of using one to fill both like all of our XJ's and Vans have been set up, since the air can shift from one shock to the other as the load changes as the truck goes around corners (which can change how the vehicle corners) or the rear suspension flexes over obsticals. I will say this though, when you install the right rear shock, do not run the parking brake cable between the axle tube and shock assembly if running the NAPA shocks (which are made by Monroe and Rancho parent company, Tenneco, IIRC), as the cable sheath will wear through the bladder within a couple weeks.........trust me, we did that to mine on the last pair that was on it.............

I would be worried about the condition of the upper shock mount on the body. That much force could rip or fold that area possibly

Not unless there is rust. They are not like struts. There is some tension but it's not outrageous. Not much more than any other shock or lift.

+1 on the spring shocks. I have run a set on my '95 and they are great. Took the sag and raised it just higher than stock. The ride is good and makes towing quite stable.

I replaced mine with Dorman ones...rides nice, the back sits a little higher than the front now though. Front springs are probably sagged a bit.

Dorman 929-301 are made in Columbia and work fine. They leveled out my 01 XJ after its rears were sagging. Amazon/Rock Auto have good prices. The biggest headache will be dealing with the rust and cutting off bolts or springs to get them on.

I concur on new springs. Make sure you soak the bolts down good with penetrating oil for a few days before pulling the old springs. One of my bolts got seized in the bushing. Not fun... Also anticipate using a cheater pipe and breaker bar. On my '96, we really couldn't get an impact gun on the bolts. Run your VIN past your dealership parts guy to find out which code leaf spring you need first (No joke, they originally put 9 different leaf springs with 9 different codes in XJ's.) Also expect the back to sit a bit higher with new leaves.

I don't mind if the rear sits higher, I just don't want the front higher than the rear. As for the springs, I'm just going to get the Dorman brand ones, they seem the highest reviewed and are reasonably priced. I am pretty sure the bolts will be OK, its an ex-government vehicle from WA state.

I have an '01 with the same issue, as I think almost every other owner did who had the standard rate springs installed. I went through two sets of the Monroe coil-over shocks. The first set FAILED at the lower end, meaning the weld broke between the shock body and the mounting hole, and they were only about two years old. My guess it was from taking the added stress of helping to hold up the body. I threw on the second set, which is still on right now, about a year ago, and with a full tank of gas it still sags. My advice, forget the damn coil-over shocks or air shocks. Pay a hundred dollars and get a new set of springs, only this time, get the heavy duty replacement spring packs, not the standard duty packs. The price is the same. That way you can get a full tank of gas, AND carry a load of camping gear or whatever, and not have any sagging. Correct the problem the right way the first time. I wish I did. Im getting custom packs made as we speak as well as slightly stiffer coils up front, and they will be on soon, and heavy loads and/or a trailer will never be an issue. My Cherokee is not used for climbing or crawling, just outings and light trails.

Back