• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat belt light stays on

lapisxj

NAXJA Forum User
Did some searching but didn't find the answer I was looking for. Turn the key on and the seat belt light comes on and the buzzer activates. The buzzer will only go off when you latch the seatbelt but the light never goes off. I wear my belt always but the buzzer should at least turn off after a few seconds and not go non-stop till you plug it in.

Is this a symptom of a bad buzzer on the inside fuse panel or an issue of the buckle? Obviously something in the buckle is working cause the buzz stops when you put the belt on.

I haven't had a chance to unplug and jump the latch contacts yet and no I don't want to completely remove the buzzer.

I never did figure this out and funny enough I came across my own thread trying to research solutions once again. :repair:

It's still as annoying as it was a year ago. Still same symptoms.

-Seatbelt light is always on (till you remove key)
-Buzzer sounds constantly, never times out, only stops when seatbelt is latched.
-Yes I wear my seatbelt, no I don't want to pull the buzzer or bulb. I would like to fix the root problem especially if it has anything to do with my airbag.
-96 XJ

I'm leaning towards a short in the wiring. Check the wires carefully going into the buckle and under the seat. You could go to the junkyard and get a replacement buckle in case there are connection issues inside the metal part.

I'm leaning towards a short in the wiring. Check the wires carefully going into the buckle and under the seat. You could go to the junkyard and get a replacement buckle in case there are connection issues inside the metal part.

Not arguing (since I haven't checked that yet) but if there was a short in the 2 wires of the seatbelt buckle why would the buzzer stop when I buckle up?

your chime module is bad. it controls the light and buzzer. physically buckling the seatbelt disconnects the ground circuit to the buzzer half. so it kills the buzzer but not the light.

its located by the fuse box under the dash. as a test pull the module and the light should go out.

TEST

DIAGNOSIS
If the buzzer/chime unit does not operate as described, check the two fuses for pins 1 and 7 (Figs. 1
and 2) and replace as required. If the fuses are not
defective, perform the following tests to determine if
the problem is in the module or in the wiring. Using
a flat head screwdriver, release the locking plastic
clip while carefully pulling out the module. Plug in a
known good module and check its operation. If the
problem is not corrected by replacing the module, remove the module and continue as follows:
VOLTAGE TESTS
Ignition in ON position, measure between the
following pins and vehicle ground.
† Measure voltage at buzzer/chime module connector
pin 1. Meter should read battery voltage. If not, repair open to ignition switch.
Turn ignition OFF and remove the key from the ignition.
J CHIME/BUZZER WARNING SYSTEMS 8U - 1† Measure voltage at buzzer/chime module connector
pin 7. Meter should read battery voltage. If not, repair open to fuse.
RESISTANCE TESTS
CAUTION: Before using an ohmmeter, turn ignition
switch OFF and disconnect negative cable from battery to avoid damaging the meter.
Measure between the following pins and vehicle ground.
† Buzzer/chime module connector pin 2. Meter
should read almost zero ohms (bulb filament). If not,
replace seat belt indicator bulb.
† Buzzer/chime module connector pin 3. Meter
should read zero ohms. If not, repair open to ground.
† Buzzer/chime module connector pin 4. Drivers seat
belt not buckled. Meter should read zero ohms. If not,
repair open to ground (or buckle switch may be defective). Meter should read open circuit if drivers
seat belt is buckled. If not, repair short to ground (or
buckle switch may be defective).
† Buzzer/chime module connector pin 6. Open driver’s door, key in ignition (in OFF position). Meter
† Buzzer/chime module connector pin 6. Remove key
from ignition. Open driver’s door, headlamp switch
ON (except YJ), meter should read zero ohms. If not,
repair open to ground.

your chime module is bad. it controls the light and buzzer. physically buckling the seatbelt disconnects the ground circuit to the buzzer half. so it kills the buzzer but not the light.

its located by the fuse box under the dash. as a test pull the module and the light should go out.

TEST

DIAGNOSIS
If the buzzer/chime unit does not operate as described, check the two fuses for pins 1 and 7 (Figs. 1
and 2) and replace as required. If the fuses are not
defective, perform the following tests to determine if
the problem is in the module or in the wiring. Using
a flat head screwdriver, release the locking plastic
clip while carefully pulling out the module. Plug in a
known good module and check its operation. If the
problem is not corrected by replacing the module, remove the module and continue as follows:
VOLTAGE TESTS
Ignition in ON position, measure between the
following pins and vehicle ground.
† Measure voltage at buzzer/chime module connector
pin 1. Meter should read battery voltage. If not, repair open to ignition switch.
Turn ignition OFF and remove the key from the ignition.
J CHIME/BUZZER WARNING SYSTEMS 8U - 1† Measure voltage at buzzer/chime module connector
pin 7. Meter should read battery voltage. If not, repair open to fuse.
RESISTANCE TESTS
CAUTION: Before using an ohmmeter, turn ignition
switch OFF and disconnect negative cable from battery to avoid damaging the meter.
Measure between the following pins and vehicle ground.
† Buzzer/chime module connector pin 2. Meter
should read almost zero ohms (bulb filament). If not,
replace seat belt indicator bulb.
† Buzzer/chime module connector pin 3. Meter
† Buzzer/chime module connector pin 4. Drivers seat
belt not buckled. Meter should read zero ohms. If not,
repair open to ground (or buckle switch may be defective). Meter should read open circuit if drivers
seat belt is buckled. If not, repair short to ground (or
buckle switch may be defective).
† Buzzer/chime module connector pin 6. Open driver’s door, key in ignition (in OFF position). Meter
† Buzzer/chime module connector pin 6. Remove key
from ignition. Open driver’s door, headlamp switch
ON (except YJ), meter should read zero ohms. If not,
repair open to ground.

Now we're getting somewhere! Thanks for posting that. I pulled the module and it did kill the indicator light. Now I need to figure out what pin numbers are what and grab a meter. Was that from a full on service manual or a chilton/haynes?

Mine is the black chime module with 2 little speaker holes and 6 pins. (not the pink module with 8 pins that I see online). Any suggestions on where to source one of these?

Interesting that they have a buzzer in a 96. My '01 doesn't have a warning buzzer for seat belts, and the seat belt light goes out even if I am not wearing a seat belt.

Same goes for my 1996 ZJ.

in 97 the chime module stuff got combined with the instrument cluster. and the zj has a body control module and i know the door open chime comes from that.

Figured I'd come back and chime in here. I managed to snag a module from a buddy's 95 xj and it worked once again. His 95 is a stripped down crawler with no doors so he didn't need it anyway. :scottm:

Back