• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proliance Heat Buster Radiator

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
436020-01-lg.jpg

Rock Auto is currently selling this radiator:
PROLIANCE Part # 436020 {#1193}
LH Drive; Heatbuster Extreme Service model
$168.79

Does anyone have any experience with this specific radiator?
I bought it last week and also found that my local kragen's/oriely has it for $280.

what is the second inlet hole for, bottom left of the rad?

Is it copper? Looks like a realy good price.

Tranny Cooler

not sure what yours looks like, but my tranny lines are not a larger diameter then my rad hose.

maybe the pic is not exactly what you get, just a generic picture of a rad.

but it does look like an XJ rad to me, other than the large diameter inlet bottom left.

I just put one of these in my 95. Took about 40 min and it kept the temp well under 240. It's a three core Copper and Brass construction. You can check the website for the specifics. I think I paid $230 or it at AA.

That's the right rad. The tranny cooler looks so big because it has a plug in it and no fitting. Good price.

I picked up a CSF 3 row all metal from DPG and it was $194 shipped. I am very happy with it, it is very well built and works like a champ.

Napa sells the heat buster radiator not real sure on the specs though

Mother#*^$

Rockauto just sent me one of these and it's plastic/aluminum.

"This manufacturer reserves the right to change design and construction materials without notice. For example, a radiator listed as copper/brass may be supplied as plastic/aluminum, a radiator listed as 3 row may be supplied as a 2 row, or a radiator for a manual-transmission vehicle may be supplied with oil cooler fittings (which are unnecessary for a manual transmission but allow the same part number to be used for both manual and automatic vehicles). Regardless of design, the manufacturer offers the same warranty and the same assurance that the part will fit the vehicle application listed and perform as well or better than original equipment"

Well thats rediculous! I purchased a plastic and aluminum radiator at advance auto once. I had the old rad out (brass and copper)and noticed it was just leaking where the hose attaches because of a crack. I was so happy I just had my buddy braze(sp?) it back up and its been good ever since. It felt so good to take that lousy thing back for a refund.

I'd send it back. Rockauto is pretty good to deal with. Tell 'em that you thought you were buying an all metal radiator, they'll take it back.

I had a similar situation with a Silla all aluminum radiator. They charged my CC twice & never shipped it. I finally got all the credit back & bought a 3-row CSF. Very happy so far.

Good luck!

Mother#*^$

Rockauto just sent me one of these and it's plastic/aluminum.

"This manufacturer reserves the right to change design and construction materials without notice. For example, a radiator listed as copper/brass may be supplied as plastic/aluminum, a radiator listed as 3 row may be supplied as a 2 row, or a radiator for a manual-transmission vehicle may be supplied with oil cooler fittings (which are unnecessary for a manual transmission but allow the same part number to be used for both manual and automatic vehicles). Regardless of design, the manufacturer offers the same warranty and the same assurance that the part will fit the vehicle application listed and perform as well or better than original equipment"

When I ordered a 3 row from them, they sent me a 2 row. They wouldn't do anything about it for me except take it back as a return, but they wouldn't refund any shipping charges so I would have been out about $50, so I decided to just use it.

Oops, I went to take pics and now it's too late to edit. To be fair the build quality appears to be clean, but even the threads on the fill tube (or whatever its called) are plastic. I know the original modine was too, since I snapped off the overflow tube, but based on the way the other aftermarket plastic things like the heater valve have held up, I just can't risk it.

Looks like I will be calling them tomorrow and taking a 2400 mile road trip with my drippy CSF.

Last edited:
I just installed (this weekend) a heat buster from Napa, paid like 230 for it, and it is all metal brass and copper. No plastic on it, and its a 3 row. Just for guys looking for an alternative from the aluminum. Works great so far, even with the AC on high and in the 10000 degree Georgia heat and humidity. Hasnt been over 225 (scan guage), even sitting on the I285 stuck in traffic in the middle of the day.

~James

100% relative humidty? Cause that is HOT.... I know I know. Dry heat is still heat, but that damn humidity makes a HUGE difference. Especially in a clustered armpit city like Atlanta.

~James

Back