• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing my Water pump and thermostat, couple questions?

HEX-J

NAXJA Forum User
My water pump went out and I just replaced it, and went ahead and replaced the thermostat , belt, and hoses as well. For some reason the thermostat housing keeps leaking from the bottom bolt when I start to add water, this is with no pressure, just during the initial fill-up. I used plenty of the water pump gasket sealant, and torqued it down as specified. Is my housing warped? I tried holding a straightedge to it but could not see any difference. I was also wondering if leaving the spring out of the new lower radiator hose is a bad idea, my new hose didn't come with one and I couldn't get the old spring to fish into the new hose. Will I get major restriction without it? Any info would be great!

Make sure both surfaces are clean, very clean. You did use a new gasket...right? Last time I did mine I used a gasket, and no sealer, still holding. As far as the spring, I have never used one after the factory hose, they aftermarket hoses have not come with it...so I don't use it, again....no problems.

HTH

Rev

i just went thru the overheat phase of my junk.
i have read quite a few post that reccomend going to the dealer so the lower hose will have the spring in it .
From what i gather, the lower will cavetate and cause the water pump to starve for coolant.wheather or not this has been confirmed or not remains to be told.BUT i went ahead and got my loweer from the dealer.

Thanks Rev, yeah, I used a new gasket, and I bought a couple more gaskets today so I'll throw it on without sealant and see what happens. I figured that spring was to keep it from caving, but thought maybe the aftermarket hose was stronger? Seems a little thicker.

frsno jeeper, how much does that hose run through the dealer? Thanks for the info.

HEX-J said:
Thanks Rev, yeah, I used a new gasket, and I bought a couple more gaskets today so I'll throw it on without sealant and see what happens. I figured that spring was to keep it from caving, but thought maybe the aftermarket hose was stronger? Seems a little thicker.

frsno jeeper, how much does that hose run through the dealer? Thanks for the info.

Sorry...wrong info on the sealant, I did use a very light coating of "Ultra-Black" on both sides of the gasket.

Getting old.

Rev

No problem, thats the same stuff I got, I'll put a light coat on it. Did Jeep not put sealant on them from the factory, seems like all I scraped off was gasket?

If you had used a Jeep oem one it would have had the correct gasket with it, also make sure the tstat is not slipping.. I generally will put a small dab of indian head gasket cement around the lip of the tstat and set in the housing and let it dry some, the gasket cement will hold it in place. Also make sure that the tstat has the little hole so that air can bleed out thru the system and that the hole is in the 12 O'Clock position.
As far as the spring in the hose goes it is used to keep the hose from collapsing from the suction, not a big issue when it's cold but when it warms up that pump will move ALOT of coolant and can draw a vacumn on the suction side. I ilke the OEM hoses cause they fit, have the right bends and the heater hoses come with the clamps, though I did spring for a good set of clamp pliers from snap-on that make those flat spring clamps much easier to remove and install.

Not sure what year XJ we are talking about, here, but I have an 89, and the lower radiator hose has been discontinued by the dealer. You may be able to find one, but good luck. They told me to go aftermarket.

I had a similar experience. Everything looked fine but it still wept coolant. Took me three tries, three gaskets before my mechanic friend told me it was probably due to my thermostat slipping out of place. He suggested I use a couple dabs of weatherstrip adhesive to keep the thermosat tacked to the opening while I bolted on the housing. Worked like a charm.

Thanks fellas, I think it may be the Tstat slipping out of place, I can see the mark on the gasket. Heres another question, the aftermarket Tstat doesn't have the same hole in it, it has two little holes? And it also doesn't have the up arrow on it like the stock one did, I hope they didn't give me the wrong one!!!!! It fits just the same?

HEX-J said:
Thanks fellas, I think it may be the Tstat slipping out of place, I can see the mark on the gasket. Heres another question, the aftermarket Tstat doesn't have the same hole in it, it has two little holes? And it also doesn't have the up arrow on it like the stock one did, I hope they didn't give me the wrong one!!!!! It fits just the same?

Mount the aftermarket thermostat with the holes aligned vertically. (One at "12 o'clock" and one at "6 o'clock".)

If your luck is anything like mine, you may have torqued that bottom bolt on the thermostat housing down too much and cracked the housing. Check to see if there is a crack right above that bottom bolt. If you have the stock aluminum housing and it is cracked, you may have some trouble finding another stock aluminum one. I ended up buying a cast iron one from NAPA, works fine.

Man I hope not, I'll have to check for a crack. Luckily theres a junk yard a mile away with a few XJs to choose from so I can replace it if needed. Or maybe I'll get a cast iron one so I don't have to worry about cracking it again. Thanks guys.

Back when I was a newbie...ah shit...who am I kidding?...I still am a newbie...I cracked a couple of those pot metal ones just as easily as I cracked the OEM aluminum. I didn't like how the ones from NAPA and Autozone fit on the motor. They seemed kinda cheaply made and they tended to rust heavily. Though expensive, I still only use the stealership housing. I've learned not to be such a brute on those housing bolts. Haven't had to buy a housing in a long time.

That's my two cents. Good luck.

Well, found out the problem. I took it back off and was looking at it looking for a crack, and noticed a little hairline along the inside above the bottom hole. As I was inspecting it I put a little force on the thing, and SNAP! The whole bottom bolt area broke off!!!!!! What a piece of shit!!!! I mean I am a strong mofo(insert idiot smiley here) but I torqued them to factory specs? Maybe its time to check my torque wrench. Well, looks like I'll be making an early Saturday morning trip to the boneyard.

Back