NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 18th, 2017, 10:52
NAXJA Member

Re: Pre-Production Sneak Peak at Boostwerks Comp Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Nice job on the video. The reference grid is a good idea.

Now you need to shoot the same thing, but with the support bearing in place.

As to the selector placement, are you running the stock bumper? I am interested in seeing your progress on this. I would like to be working on mine, but I think my rear main oil seal is going to take priority.
Thanks!

Was planning on an after video it but it got dark on me. Dang Winter Solstice. Then I thought it might be boring watching a shaft turn inside a bearing. You are right though, I should shoot the video.

I built the DIY DirtBound Mojave about a year ago. Originally wanted to do a removable winch plate so it has the the receiver. Then after a getting a hernia and surgery, decided to do hidden winch. Just ordered the free-spool adapter. Once I get it and the time I can continue. It will be tricky for me to bust through two perpendicular layer of 3/16" steel at an angle. but I'm up to the challenge. Will most likely use a wobble extension to account for slight misalignment. I also have to notch the bottom of the bumper to allow cable access. That poses another challenge as the receiver bracing will have to be cut away. Thinking about making a large rectangular notch that will hinge lock up when I need the winch. Down and everything is concealed. One thing is certain, I want the comp mount more than the bumper so it may come down to making a new bumper.

For anyone still reading, here is my transmission jack. Worker perfect for me.

Old December 18th, 2017, 13:28
Mostly Harmless

Necessity is the mother of invention. Looks like a solution to me.

For the hole at an angle, my technique is to drill a 1/4" pilot hole at an angle and then use a hole saw with a smooth pilot instead of a drill bit. A drill bit will want to eat its way into the angled pilot hole, but a smooth pilot won't do that. A piece of 1/4" round stock will probably work for the smooth pilot. I have a section of a long 1/4" drill bit which was dull and I cut the fluted end off it.
Old December 18th, 2017, 14:09
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Necessity is the mother of invention. Looks like a solution to me.

For the hole at an angle, my technique is to drill a 1/4" pilot hole at an angle and then use a hole saw with a smooth pilot instead of a drill bit. A drill bit will want to eat its way into the angled pilot hole, but a smooth pilot won't do that. A piece of 1/4" round stock will probably work for the smooth pilot. I have a section of a long 1/4" drill bit which was dull and I cut the fluted end off it.
Me likes your technique. Thank you! I honestly never thought of doing that way.
Old December 18th, 2017, 16:55
NAXJA Member

Killed the old video. Added the pillow block. See it here. https://vimeo.com/247893295
Old December 20th, 2017, 04:02
NAXJA Forum User

Pre-Production Sneak Peak at Boostwerks Comp Mount

Are you guys putting stock bumpers over top of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 20th, 2017, 07:19
Mostly Harmless

I am.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 13:38
Only Slightly Psychotic

Quote:
I am.
Which would be a nice set up with a MM hyro on the MJ.
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter VP
Old January 10th, 2018, 22:36
NAXJA Member

Now that the holidays are behind me, I've had a chance to do a bit more work on it. I decided to maintain Warns original designed strength by rotating the free spool lever every other hole. Works out that 180* is not a strength option I'm willing to risk. Sadly that means cutting the beautiful hammer finished powder coated mount.

Free Spool adapter is nothing short of amazing...

The angle I chose...54 degrees, out the top of the bumper.

Located hole center using a straight edge and measured down half the diameter of the adapter. (D=30mm, R=15mm). Center punched and pilot drilled all the way through with a very small drill bit, same angle as the adapter. That is some tough steel. Hot rolled?

Followed the pilot hole with a 1/4" drill checking the angle. Wasn't easy getting it started but it finally went through. Then used a 3/4" hole saw to to bust through. Thanks Anak for the 1/4" round stock guide tip. Worked great. As you can see, alignment came out near perfect. But I tagged that adapter with the hole saw. Hope my hole saw is okay!!!

Made new power cables to extend the control box. Used 8 ton hydraulic hex crimper on tin coated copper lugs, and 2awg welding wire. Sealed in with adhesive shrink tube. Also labeled and clear adhesive shrink. Should last awhile. Made them 57" long. Control box will be mounted where the radiator overflow is now. Cables are slightly too long. Better too long than too short. Anyway, covered them in anti abrasion. Need just a little more in the second pic. Secured with a couple of straps.

Bottom of blue tape is the top surface of my bumper. Looks like the the opening will clear perfectly without getting into the grill or be too far forward. I have the DirtBound Mohave DIY. Originally built it with the receiver hitch. Cut the receiver out and notched for the fair lead opening. Welded in the slug I originally cut out for the receiver hitch. I don't like it. My front bumper now looks like crap. It warped making it difficult to get back on and now has a inward bow. Yuck! I'm going to attempt to salvage the original looks which will hide the winch opening. No pictures of the bumper, it got dark. Really!

Old January 10th, 2018, 22:58
Mostly Harmless

I am happy to hear that tip worked out for you.

Bummer about the bumper.

Thank you for the detailed pics. That gives me something to mull over.

I had hoped to make progress on my own install, but my rear main oil seal demanded attention instead. And RMS turned into front seal, timing cover and harmonic balancer, and that then turned into new timing chain and guide...The Bride has concluded that scope creep is my superpower.
Old January 10th, 2018, 23:14
NAXJA Member

Hey Anak, sounds like you own a Jeep!!! Just Empty Every Pocket!!! HaHa

I'll just cut the bumper in half, align it the way I want and burn it back together. I also want to beef up the shackle mounts and round the edges where I notched for the fair lead. Going to start with the steel cable but switch to the synthetic after some time. I don't want to leave any edges for the rope to rub on in a side pull. Also will have a chance to fill the bumper mount slots to remove play if I have to tug on the bumper. If then it still looks like crap, I'll start over with a new bumper but I still like the Mojave look.

Problem is I have to work in the driveway in the cold and rain. Garage has too many motorcycles and toys, I mean tools. They get the dry home.
Old January 11th, 2018, 15:12
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Wow that looks great! Thank you for the taking the time to modify your mount! The future versions of the Comp Mount will have that additional hole in them. BTW, I really like how you did the wiring. Nice and tiddy.

I'm still pissed at Warn though. From an engineering perspective, I don't see any reason why they couldn't have made it work at least every 90degs... but I guess you can't win them all I guess.

Thank you again for the business!
www.BoostwerksEngineering.com
Old January 11th, 2018, 15:45
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostwerks.com View Post
Wow that looks great! Thank you for the taking the time to modify your mount! The future versions of the Comp Mount will have that additional hole in them. BTW, I really like how you did the wiring. Nice and tiddy.

I'm still pissed at Warn though. From an engineering perspective, I don't see any reason why they couldn't have made it work at least every 90degs... but I guess you can't win them all I guess.

Thank you again for the business!
Thanks! After looking back at the pictures of the wiring, I really feel OCD about the one touching the frame rail. Gads, I got to go fix that.

I actually considered pointing the free spool downward for about a minute. Maybe someone else might want it pointing down but not for me. Make it an option too? Thinking of a permanent lever to stay on the bumper. Just have to see how it all comes out.

At least Warn gave five options instead of one but 90's would have been awesome and the most obvious.

I'm really pleased with my Comp Mount. My front end is way more solid and feels great in cornering. Having the winch there is bonus. Happy doing business with BWE!!!
Old January 11th, 2018, 17:06
Only Slightly Psychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenz View Post
Thanks! After looking back at the pictures of the wiring, I really feel OCD about the one touching the frame rail. Gads, I got to go fix that.
OCD = Observing Critical Details.
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter VP
Old January 13th, 2018, 16:56
NAXJA Forum User

Wanting one of these. I'm thinking with some creativity, this could be turned into a bumper. Not a bumper in front of this, but make this into a bumper. The gears are turning in my mind. I may order one soon and see what I come up with.
Old January 15th, 2018, 16:51
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent T View Post
Wanting one of these. I'm thinking with some creativity, this could be turned into a bumper. Not a bumper in front of this, but make this into a bumper. The gears are turning in my mind. I may order one soon and see what I come up with.
I have a couple customers doing just that. It wasn't something that I had intended, but some seem to dig the bumperless look. At some point I'd like to offer bolt on corner extensions to turn it into more of a bumper.
www.BoostwerksEngineering.com