• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Real costs of a lift?

Greenspan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hi I have a 98 XJ Sport with Upcountry package so it comes with at 1" lift from the factory but otherwise is stock, right now it has 29" street tires with no trimming and no rubbing. I am ready to put some money into it. Looking at getting a bull bar front bumper and a winch (est $1500) and maybe a lift.

I like the Rubicon Express 3.5 lift kit (~$1000 for just the kit), but trying to figure out exactly what I'll really need to put into it to do it right, and if it really makes sense after adding up all the costs. On road performance is important to me as I do take it on long road trips too.

From reading on line it sounds like I'll need a SYE and driveshaft, so I'm guessing that's another $500. Will I really need a SYE since I am only going 2.5" higher than what it is now, or is it the same no matter what? (Is the upcountry driveshaft setup differently from standard) Will I be able to put 31"x10.5" or 31"x11.5" tires on the stock wheels? Or will I need new wheels too?

Are there any other costs I'm missing? After installation (I would want a pro doing this work to my suspension) I'm guessing I'll be paying ~$2k for 2.5" of lift.

Alternatively, Rubicon Express makes a 2" Economy lift with spring spacers and add a leaf for ~$210. My understanding is this would add to the existing 1" of lift, so I would get 3" total, and probably wouldn't need a SYE and driveshaft. I usually don't like to cheap out like that, but that's a lot of savings for not much difference in lift that could be used elsewhere.​

I just did a RE 3.5 INCH LIFT. $700 labor install cost, $1000 for kit with shocks and track bar. I ended up needing a different set of rear shackles +50. After LIFT i had vibration so SHe AND DRIVEline. Still in the shop but $600 for parts and I would guess at least $500 for labor. I needed one adjustable upper ball joint so I could get alignment in specs. $200 for this but could have got by without ball joint.

Hi I have a 98 XJ Sport with Upcountry package so it comes with at 1" lift from the factory but otherwise is stock, right now it has 29" street tires with no trimming and no rubbing. I am ready to put some money into it. Looking at getting a bull bar front bumper and a winch (est $1500) and maybe a lift. Don't be so sure you need a winch right off. I've never had one and have been fine. You can get into a front and rear bumper for under $1000.

I like the Rubicon Express 3.5 lift kit (~$1000 for just the kit), but trying to figure out exactly what I'll really need to put into it to do it right, and if it really makes sense after adding up all the costs. On road performance is important to me as I do take it on long road trips too. I have the same lift and enhanced it with spacers in the front, Ram 1500 shackles in the back, shackle relocation brackets in the rear, drop brackets in the front, and adjustable front arms.

From reading on line it sounds like I'll need a SYE and driveshaft, so I'm guessing that's another $500. Will I really need a SYE since I am only going 2.5" higher than what it is now, or is it the same no matter what? (Is the upcountry driveshaft setup differently from standard) Will I be able to put 31"x10.5" or 31"x11.5" tires on the stock wheels? Or will I need new wheels too? An SYE isn't that expensive - just do a full case one versus a hack and tap. If you go with an SYE you will need a new shaft, but you can get a junkyard rear shaft and have it cut at a driveshaft shop to fit. Not going to run you $500 for both by any means. I ran 31 x 10.5 on my stock rims at 3.5 and at 5.5"

Are there any other costs I'm missing? After installation (I would want a pro doing this work to my suspension) I'm guessing I'll be paying ~$2k for 2.5" of lift. You may find you want to do a double shear track bar. The V8 ZJ tie rod is a direct swap and is solid, so much stronger than the XJ stock unit. I also would suggest not paying a pro. You have a ton of NAXJA members within 30 miles of your place. For beer and pizza I bet you could have a hell of a wrenchfest and knock it out in a day.

Alternatively, Rubicon Express makes a 2" Economy lift with spring spacers and add a leaf for ~$210. My understanding is this would add to the existing 1" of lift, so I would get 3" total, and probably wouldn't need a SYE and driveshaft. I usually don't like to cheap out like that, but that's a lot of savings for not much difference in lift that could be used elsewhere. My first XJ had an AAL lift on it, and I can tell you that the full system with replacement coils and leaves are much better.

Don't be afraid to look at junkyard parts or the for sale parts in the various NAXJA chapters. After doing the lift I added in a Ford 8.8 to get 4.10 gears ($150 at the junk yard and another $100 for a guy to weld on the perches), a factory XJ front axle with 4.10s ($150 at the junk yard), a brand new front locker (Aussie), and a used Spartan rear locker ($75 from a guy on the NAXJA classifieds). You can do it up for responsible money if you have the time and inclination to research and collect parts. As I sit, I'm into the Jeep less than $2500, I suspect, for modifications - and that also includes the hood vents, rock sliders, and quarter panel sliders that I haven't yet mentioned as well as everything I have.

Last edited:
I have two Cherokees lifted with good used parts. One has a complete RE 5.5 lift that took me about a year to piece together. I paid about 30% of the brand new price for the lift. The tires are on aluminum rims that I traded some junkyard parts for, so they cost me about $75 for all four. The other one has a gently used 3 inch lift, garage sale aluminum rims, and practically new tires from the junkyard. If you are capable, there is no reason to pay somebody to install your stuff. You can buy all the tools you need, still save some cash not paying a shop, and when you are done you will have a nice tool set. I built my own bumpers and rock rails too.

Honestly, if you're half way mechanically inclined you can install the lift yourself. It's not that hard to do, especially a short arm lift. Most of the issue is getting old bolts out. The rest is pretty straight forward. While it will take you longer than a shop. The biggest advantage is when something breaks (because it always will)you already have the knowledge to fix it instead of shelling out more cash for someone else.

Back to your question. The products on here are just suggestions but all vendors dedicated to the XJ platform and most are supporting members of NAXJA. Always good to support the shops the support the site. What's below is a pretty extensive list of parts, but good quality get'r done right. Alternatively, you could cheap out get ACOS, bastard pack the rear, WJ control arms and some other XYZ parts to get a lift and rumble. Great thing with Jeeps is there's no right way just a wrong way.

I'd go with OME, yes it is more expensive but from what you said about on road ability, they make a great little lift.

http://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-emu-xj-cherokee.html

It would be a good idea to invest in some new control arms. I think Ironman makes a great set at a decent cost.
https://www.ironman4x4fab.com/product-page/front-control-arm-set

You'll also need a new trackbar.
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/xj-zj-adjustable-double-shear-track-bar-kit.html

Extended brakelines, brand really doesn't make a massive difference just enough for your lift.

Sway bar discos. (Metalcloack just used for reference)
https://www.metalcloak.com/XJ-Sway-Bar-Quick-Disconnect-9-Front-p/7049.htm

Good idea to swap out the tierod. no sense in building a jeep to taco the front and be stuck. Probably the coolest tie rod out there, watch the video!
http://www.stinkyfab.com/1991-xj-tj-zj-7075-tie-rod-34-68/

Rear shackle relocation box is a great way to get a little extra lift and improve shackle angle
https://www.ironman4x4fab.com/product-page/xj-shackle-relocation-brackets-bare-steel

A sye may or may not be needed. I had a 4.5" on my XJ and had no vibes.

That will get you up there. After that wheels you can probably still go with stock, but may have to add a spacer to get proper back spacing. if not some steel wheels work.

Then comes what I would consider the biggest most overlooked item when wanting to improve offroad capability......traction device and gears! A lunch box locker is a cheap easy way to get traction. Also as suggested a Ford 8.8 swap is a great option. Some people say it hangs to low for 31's, but the trade off of 31 spline shafts, factory LSD and a solid housing is well worth it. The 8.25 you have already is a great axle just limited in aftermarket support. I'm putting one under my MJ once I get to that point. Gear I'd suggest 4.10 for 31's, if you want to go bigger on tire size go deeper in gears to 4.56. Cheers

Extended brake lines - you can use YJ lines in the rear and Silverado lines in the front to accomplish the extra length you need.

Just don't buy them used!!! Splurge on new ones!!!

I just did a RE 3.5 INCH LIFT. $700 labor install cost, $1000 for kit with shocks and track bar. I ended up needing a different set of rear shackles +50. After LIFT i had vibration so SHe AND DRIVEline. Still in the shop but $600 for parts and I would guess at least $500 for labor. I needed one adjustable upper ball joint so I could get alignment in specs. $200 for this but could have got by without ball joint.

Yeah, see this is what I'm afraid of. $3K for 3.5" of lift not including tires, and would really be only 2.5" additional on my rig. I don't know how true this is, but I've heard Rubicon Express says this is good enough for 31" tires, but should go a tire size down for 97-01 XJ's (Is this true or not? Can someone confirm/deny?). So at that point $3K for an extra inch of tire size (29" to 30"), what am I missing here?

I really would prefer a shop to do the lift because I think the suspension is important and something I'd want a pro to do. It's not so much that I mind spending the money to have it done right it's just trying to weigh the costs/benefits and does it really make sense. Although for $700 may be something I'd be willing to try.

If I end up needing a SYE what do you guys think about the Hack 'n Tap SYE? https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/hack-n-tap-slip-yoke-eliminator-kit.html Seems a lot easier to install

3.5" is enough for 31's. You can squeeze 33's with some fender trimming. If you're opposed to fender trimming it will be more of an issue.

Hack-n-taps are ok, but if you're going to do it, do it right and get this

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/np231-sye--new-process-231j-fixed-yoke-kit-50-7906--50-7907/

$200ish a little more involved but is the right way way to do it.

Yes, the suspension is crucial, but you really have to f something up to have a problem. I mean really f it up. Even a shop isn't going to be a 100% guarantee. Most xj lifts are a "bolt on" kit. Drop this, replace that and get an alignment; it's that easy. Obviously your money but I'm a cheap XJ guy I'd rather DIY or find some guys in the local chapter that can help if it's above my skill set. Seriously, plenty of guys that would be willing to help you out.

With my RE 3.5 INCH kit i actually got over 4.5 INCH which is more than I bargained for but common for a RE Lift to give more. My kit did include brake lines,lower control arms, swap bar disconnects,shocks etc. Probably why I needed the SYE. i could easily run 32s. I picked up my 2001 jeep xj cheap at a auction. $1300 and it only has 105,000 miles on it and already had a home made lift. Found out after I had it 3 weeks it also had a brand new engine and there was supposed to be a $4,000 reserve in it. I don't mind spending a bit more since it is pretty solid starting point. Lift seemed cheap compared the all the bumpers,rockers etc. that I have put on it.

I forgot to mention that I spent $238 for a Spartan lunch box locker for the rear end. Best money I have spent so far IMO.

As said above there are deals out there if you’re patient. Scan local Jeep forums/Facebook and craigslist. One of the great things about Jeeps is there is always someone upgrading FROM want you’re upgrading TO. I’d also encourage you to DIY or make some new Jeep friends that are willing to lend a hand. It’s not near as tough as you think it is.

Make you a deal - fly me out to Cali, put me up for a couple days, and I'll help you install it myself!!!

Smokeyyank, good info there. I'm staying mostly stock with my 98 xj, but just ordered the stinkyfab tie rod for my son's 97xj. He has 3" Zone lift. We've added an adjustable track bar. Likely will do the ironmanfab control arms this summer as well when I pull the axles for new gears.

Hi I have a 98 XJ Sport with Upcountry package so it comes with at 1" lift from the factory but otherwise is stock, right now it has 29" street tires with no trimming and no rubbing. I am ready to put some money into it. Looking at getting a bull bar front bumper and a winch (est $1500) and maybe a lift.

I like the Rubicon Express 3.5 lift kit (~$1000 for just the kit), but trying to figure out exactly what I'll really need to put into it to do it right, and if it really makes sense after adding up all the costs. On road performance is important to me as I do take it on long road trips too.

From reading on line it sounds like I'll need a SYE and driveshaft, so I'm guessing that's another $500. Will I really need a SYE since I am only going 2.5" higher than what it is now, or is it the same no matter what? (Is the upcountry driveshaft setup differently from standard) Will I be able to put 31"x10.5" or 31"x11.5" tires on the stock wheels? Or will I need new wheels too?

Are there any other costs I'm missing? After installation (I would want a pro doing this work to my suspension) I'm guessing I'll be paying ~$2k for 2.5" of lift.

Alternatively, Rubicon Express makes a 2" Economy lift with spring spacers and add a leaf for ~$210. My understanding is this would add to the existing 1" of lift, so I would get 3" total, and probably wouldn't need a SYE and driveshaft. I usually don't like to cheap out like that, but that's a lot of savings for not much difference in lift that could be used elsewhere.​
How do you plan on using your Jeep? street queen, dirt/gravel roads, snow driving, overland or rock crawl?

Your application plays a large role in your build choices. Maybe provide a little more info on how you intend to use your jeep and I think you'll get more meaningful advice. You might also include a rough budget and maybe a period of time that you want to accomplish the build in. With this info you can plan your build in phases over time.

To the OP, 31x10.5 tires will fit on your stock rims fine, since I didn't see anyone else comment on that. I made that size tire fit on stock rims with 1.75 inch lift and bumpstop adjustment with only minor rubbing on the coil springs in front when flexed and at full turn. My XJ is a 96 which I understand is a bit easier to fit bigger tires with minimal lift than the later body model such as your 98. Then I went to 33x10.5 tires on wheels with 3.75 inch backspace, additional bumpstop alteration, and fender trimming. I have had zero fitment/rubbing issues with this second configuration. There are advantages to minimizing lift height such as fewer adjustments to the driveline.

Back