• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Google censoring firearms searches

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
So, this has me a little angry. Google in its wisdom has decided that it will no longer return search results for any gun related term on its shopping tab. This includes terms like, gun, rifle, scope, glock, ar15, pistol, revolver, ammo, steyr, colt, remington, etc., etc.

Google has chosen a side in a battle that they have no business participating in.

I would encourage you to voice your opinion regarding their censorship by clicking the send feedback button on the Google homepage.

I am seeing a need for strong alternatives to Google, Youtube, Craigslist, Facebook...

All of these offer a service that is by no means political, yet they feel the need to insert their politics into their service by excluding people who hold traditional American values.

It should be to their shame. Evidently they have no sense of shame.

I hope the free market generates some competition to replace them.

Just searched 45 carbine, ak47, ar scope and got stuff pulled up, so don't think it's full censorship. While I agree with you to a certain extent (Fn hate censorship), technically isn't it their right to limit info if they want? People choose to use Google, it's not the only search engine, but's there's a reason it's the most used. As suggested duckduckgo works well. I use it when I browse in TOR.

Just searched 45 carbine, ak47, ar scope and got stuff pulled up, so don't think it's full censorship. While I agree with you to a certain extent (Fn hate censorship), technically isn't it their right to limit info if they want? People choose to use Google, it's not the only search engine, but's there's a reason it's the most used. As suggested duckduckgo works well. I use it when I browse in TOR.

You are correct on all counts.

Not every single gun term is unlisted by google...yet. Try "nerf gun"...won't come up with anything since it uses the term "gun". It is my choice

And yes, I will no longer use Google shopping for anything...it is my choice.

No shotguns either. Self righteous yellow bellied pinko liberals.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

C.S. Lewis

Am I the only one who had to look up "cupidity"? It has nothing to do with match-making or shooting people with arrows as one might reasonably suppose. Of course if it did then C.S. Lewis' use of the word in describing the robber baron would have made no sense at all.

And boo to censorship.

Back