• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 manual efan switch??

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey
Ok I have been searching and find tons of stuff for the older models but nothing for my 97. I want to put the e-fan on a manual switch. I will use a relay for the fan power source. Just wondering what wire to tap into on the fan. Also do I have to worry about any bleed back into the system?
I don’t have a manual so I was wondering if it had a positive charge to the fan all the time and was turned on by closing the negative side? Or was the fan cold and then charged positively when the fan as to come on?
Does that make sense?

Thanks

Back probe your fans plug to find out witch is pos. feed cut before plug install diode on oe wire add your pos.source in same current flow,i also recommend a inline fuse

The wire on my 98' is a 10/12 gauge blue wire. This is the wire from the relay in the fuse box under the hood to the fan. It is posotive output.

If you mount a relay on the fire wall next to the fuse box, and use this to feed the fan. You wont have to worry about diodes this way.

I just used a spare relay I had laying around from a parts Jeep, but you can just go into your local parts store and ask for a standard Bosch-style relay and they should know what it is. If not, have them look up a Radiator Fan Control relay for a 99 XJ, it is the correct pinout.

Would the factory fan relay work like you have listed?
I have an extra one of those?
Thanks for the help.

Yep, sure would. It is a standard 5 pin relay.

Edit: a starter relay will work also, Borg-Warner P/N R3177.

Last edited:
Well I was able to bang this out today and it works great.,
Thanks for every ones help.

Back