• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 300 build

BonesBrosChris

NAXJA Forum User
If anyone is intrested here is a photobucket link to my Dana 300 rebuild for my 98 XJ.
http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/BonesBrosChris/
I put a Tera Low 4:1 kit in it with a 32 spline AA tailshaft kit. The flip kit needed to run the case upside down is from Down East Offroad. It came out pretty well and is still shorter than the NP231 that was in the Jeep. All said and done I'm in it about half of what the Atlas costs. The oil sight tube is something I added just to make servicing easier. Now I just gotta get off my bum and hang the pig in the Jeep. I Think I'm going to have to modify the TNT crossmember..... guess I'll find out when the weather warms up a bit.

Yes... I'm running the AW4.

Do you use the Novak adapter? And is your AW4 21 or 23 Spline?
I'm about to do the same and I'm trying to figure the cheapest way out.
But the Novak stuff is a little pricey.

No adapter was needed for my application. I just cut down the D300's from input retainer so it would fit into the AW4 (23 spline). I removed the rear seal from the AW4 and use a gasket between the AW4 and the D300. If you didn't want to cut down the retainer you would have to use a clocking ring of some sort. I think that I'm in it about $1,400 or so the way it sits now. If you didn't want or need the 4:1 tera low money could be saved there. But I would not skimp on the AA tailshaft kit. The stock tailshaft on the D300 when I bought it grenaded and some of the loose bearing messed up the stock gears. Hence the rebuild..... do it once mentality.

I was thinking of running this behind an 231 crawl box but have not made up my mind with it yet. Any feedback on Duffy's Box for Rocks?

I am using the box4rocks behind an ax15, and it is sweet. i don't see the point in it behind an auto.

That looks just like the one my buddy built for his TJ. Hopefully, you won't have the venting problems he had. His vent tubes would fill with oil and the case would leak everywhere. I think we got it figured out by running the vent tube off of the fitting that the clear sight tube is attached to. This allows the oil that works its way up the vent to drain back into the case via the vent tube, and not pool up in the long run of vent tubing. Unless he ran the vent straight up through the cab, there was no other way to keep the oil from pooling.

Anyway, looks good. I can't tell you how many times I've benchpressed that thing in and out of his TJ. Hopefully, you will only have to do it once.

Good luck,

Brad

Back