• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ daily driver motor mount upgrade?

96Sportxj

NAXJA Forum User
Any recommendations on a motor mount for everyday driving and not 4x4'ing?

Also anything else I should check/replace while I am replacing them?

i put brown dog rubber mounts on my mom's 2000 xj, made a tremendous difference and rides very smooth. i absolutely love them and would recommend them, also have them in my 99, and will put them on the 01, and the 99 i am building next.

just make sure to do the transmission mount at the same time you replace the engine mounts. i did not find any aftermarket ones, so just used what ever carquest would give me.

I use the Brown Dogs also and I used the StinkyFab transmission mount. Both are dang good replacement options.

If your interested in Brown Dog mounts, I have a set that's 1 day old, took them off Sunday!

Dealer mounts are about the best you can buy for a daily driver. They are soft and last a long time. If you have any engine vibes you will notice them in short order with an "upgrade" that you don't need.

Stinkyfab, or brown dog rubber. I have a set of each in my heeps

On my '01 daily driver, I use Mountain Off Road motormounts and a DB Metalworx tranny mount. Absolutely no vibe issues, idle is still really smooth. My factory original mounts were really worn, so I noticed a big difference.

Brown Dog all the way. Every Jeep- every time. No harsh vibrations- just follow the instructions.

I hit a huge pothole one day and sheared a motor mount off resulting in a motor that rolled over in the engine bay. since then I prevent the problem and swap them out asap. All 5 jeeps of mine have them. My .02

Make your own, you're better off.

AAAAH! What are/were those rubbers used for? i.e. how do one get a set of them? I take it you pre-fab the whole thing,....some folks do not have the ability to fabricate things like those.

I have the Brown Dog rubber, they are pretty strong, but not the smoothest.

the Mountain Off-Road mount built around an LCA bushing looks really smooth

I have the Mountain Offroad rubber units for more than 10 years and they do transmit plenty of vibes at idle. I would like to replace the engine brackets with some after market ones that uses more bolts than those OEM ones.

Although it's possible BD sent me poly's instead of rubber. They were intolerable for my DD!

I use the cheapo Anchor mounts from RockAuto on my DD. What kills 'em is the heat
from the exhaust manifold. Later model XJs (> '99) have a heat shield to protect them.
I fab'd my own heat shield and put in new Anchor mounts. That was 4 years ago and
they are still looking as good as the first day.

Although it's possible BD sent me poly's instead of rubber. They were intolerable for my DD!
I ran the BD rubber mounts for over a year before my wife asked to 'fix' the Jeep's problem.
Adjusted them several times and never got rid of the excessive NVH.
Liked the way it drove with the BDs. If it was primarily a trail machine, I would have continued to use the BDs but the Jeep sees too many highway miles.

I have thought abut infilling the empty spaces, in the stock mounts, with a liquid polyurethane, as a compromise.
http://www.daystarsuspensionparts.com/diymmi

I have the Mountain Offroad rubber units for more than 10 years and they do transmit plenty of vibes at idle.

Really? I've been running the same mounts for at least as long, while I'd agree with you as far as the initial few days, it seemed to me like they softened up after about a week to where they were only slightly worse than OEM at idle (and OEM-smooth once moving), but not enough to be an issue.

Of course, it's been so long since I sat in an idling jeep with OEM mounts that any memory of how they feel at idle has been long flushed from my mental cache...

Dealer mounts are about the best you can buy for a daily driver. They are soft and last a long time. If you have any engine vibes you will notice them in short order with an "upgrade" that you don't need.

I thought the same, but I was willing to trade off a little "buzziness" attributed to the Rubber Brown Dog mounts I got; to actually increase stiffness a little.

A stiffer motor mount, transmits less engine "torque roll", which means less stress on you header / exhaust system. I don't want to replace another header due to stress cracks.

New header and Brown Dog mounts have worked out great for me....

Leaning toward brown dog. But anyone have any experience with these? https://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-Lit...99362612&sr=1-4&keywords=jeep+xj+motor+mounts

Those are all similar to the Crown version, which is the OEM design. Just replaced mine with the crowns and it feels stock, low NVH. I did a lot of research at the time and the general consensus is that nearly all the other brands make great, but noisier mounts. They mostly have a lot less rubber to absorb vibration. The OEM style isn't as stiff offroad though.

Ironman4x4fab has some really good rubber mounts. they do vibrate a little bit but arnt horrible. and are stiff enough that when I dropped my trans cross member to do some work, the mounts only let the engine, trans, and transfer case drop about 1/2"
I was impressed.

Back