• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear driveshaft slip spline prob

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking into a squeek before an offroad trip few weeks ago and found a dry u-joint. I found my rear driveshaft slip splines were seized and I couldnt get the shaft apart.(Caused by lack of grease and almost fully compressed shaft) I finally resorted to a slide hammer, then some heat, Melted all that nice blue coating of all the male spline, dammit. Greased her up good and threw it together and went on our adventure, thought nothing of it until we hit the highway on our way outta the bush. Noise and vibes, took it apart again , greased it good, it was fine again for a short time. Is there anything I can do or use to help out with this? Pats driveline wants 250+ shipping to replace the slip spline section. Or should I just buy a new one and keep this as a spare?
progress.gif

Last edited:
What kind of grease are you packing it with? Use a heavy, persistent grease.

http://www.greengrease.net/ its supposed to last up to eight times longer than normal grease. I have used this stuff and it stays put.

Tube is about $8 at a parts store. I use it on all my vehicles.

What kind of grease are you packing it with? Use a heavy, persistent grease.

http://www.greengrease.net/ its supposed to last up to eight times longer than normal grease. I have used this stuff and it stays put.

Tube is about $8 at a parts store. I use it on all my vehicles.

pennzoil, full synthetic , high pressure. Is that green stuff really thick?

Runs through a grease gun fine, it just hangs on/in.

It is thicker than most other greases I have used.

You're going to have to replace the driveshaft, or at least the splined section. The stuff that melted is actually pretty thick and does a good job of carrying the load. As you've already found, grease is not going to work for a substitute.

When did an XJ come with a slip joined drive shaft?

Uh...Just about all of them. Hence, the popularity of the SYE kits. :)

Jacobs is talking about the splined portion of the shaft the mates to the output shaft of the t-case.

Uh...Just about all of them. Hence, the popularity of the SYE kits. :)

Jacobs is talking about the splined portion of the shaft the mates to the output shaft of the t-case.

Wrong Steve. All XJs came from the factory with a slip yoke at the transmission end. Slip yokes do not have any of the teflon coating that Jacobs is talking about, but slip joint drive shafts do to reduce clearances and to provide smooth operation.

@bcmaxx: Appearantly I have a different definition of Mod than you do.
If you modified the vehicle from stock, and the problem is with one of the modifications you made, then in my mind, the discussion of that modification belongs in Mod.

As a general rule, once you loose the teflon, it has been my experience that you need to have the slip joint replaced, or grease it often with heavy grease.

What are you a school teacher? My old one was a stock front shaft simply moved to the back, same exact thing as stock, I'm not wasting my breath ( or any more keystrokes for that matter):D

Yeah, I was talking about the blue coating that comes on the slip joints in the middle of a shaft, same as the original poster was- not lubing an OE style rear slip yoke.

Back