• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My '96 XJ Maintenance and MPG thread

Always wanted a green one, maybe some day.

Watched a guy get unlucky with a green one. One of my dads friends was making a trail fix, slipped off the wrench and hit the rusty rocker.when he pulled his hand back out there was a big gash. Come to find out when we got him to the hospital that he severed a tendon in his hand. Never ever touching a green or black one. Those are my two " courses colors" with xjs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched a guy get unlucky with a green one. One of my dads friends was making a trail fix, slipped off the wrench and hit the rusty rocker.when he pulled his hand back out there was a big gash. Come to find out when we got him to the hospital that he severed a tendon in his hand. Never ever touching a green or black one. Those are my two " courses colors" with xjs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, it was red vehicles that the salesman was convinced were cursed in the funniest movie I ever saw. "Used Cars"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHZWdFVyyQ

Finally got around to doing the math.

823 miles round trip, burned 51.95 gallons of gas. 15.84mpg. Not bad for a brick towing @ 65-75mph most of the way.

My daughter just reported 275 mile fill up to fill up trip using 12 gallons of gas on here 1989, 230,000 mile 4x4, new to her Cherokee in CO.

I suspect a small 1-2 gallon error in the 12 gallon number. But who knows.

My daughter just reported 275 mile fill up to fill up trip using 12 gallons of gas on here 1989, 230,000 mile 4x4, new to her Cherokee in CO.

I suspect a small 1-2 gallon error in the 12 gallon number. But who knows.

275 to a tank is pretty dang impressive! Unless she has a 20gal tank. :roll:

275 to a tank is pretty dang impressive! Unless she has a 20gal tank. :roll:

I have a 21 Gal tank on my 87 Wagoneer, tops out at 18 gallons, but I am lucky at times to get 200 miles out of 15 gallons with it.

How often do you guys change your belt? Mine was last changed 6 years ago. Wondering if there is a good rule of thumb on these or if I should keep and spare handy and wait for it to fail?

I swapped mine last month and it might feel a little different, but on the down side, I now have a problem that the engine needs to turn for 2 seconds before it fires up. Seems like not enough fuel to feed the 4-spray injectors or so.

Just FYI, I run about 18mpg and have quite a bit of traffic. (I live in ATL = stop and go)

I swapped mine last month and it might feel a little different, but on the down side, I now have a problem that the engine needs to turn for 2 seconds before it fires up. Seems like not enough fuel to feed the 4-spray injectors or so.

Just FYI, I run about 18mpg and have quite a bit of traffic. (I live in ATL = stop and go)

Are you sure you're not leaking at an injector now causing a loss of fuel pressure?

To the OP, if it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it. My injectors were nasty after no maintenance for 200k+ miles and I opted to go with 4 holed ones and not surprisingly, it idled better, but I firmly believe it was because of clean injectors. I do think long term, they burn fuel better, but not worth the expense unless you have $80 to burn. If you're that worried about saving $ on fuel, you'll probably never get your return on the investment.

Finally got some hwy miles without a trailer. 162 miles hwy and 30miles city came out to 18.38mpg. New record for the xj! Hopefully when the temps get above 50; mpg will go up with it.

Also got the bluetooth obd2 working. (3rd one I bought worked!) Any tips on what gauges things I should check with it?

For anyone interested, I put on a brand new CA approved walker cat today and then smogged her. First time she has been smogged since 1999/2000. And I might as well be driving a prius. Scored really LOW on everything. Not sure if she just runs that great or because the new CAT had less than 5 miles on it. :)

Back