• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ downshifting more often

96Sportxj

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if it is the time of year or I have an issue. I have noticed that she is downshifting more often up small inclines compared to not downshifting at all a few months ago up the same roads.

MPG is about the same and nothing else seems to be different. Recently changed the oil, air filter and ran seafoam through her.

Adjust the transmission Throttle Valve cable, sometimes also called the kick down cable.

Adjust the transmission Throttle Valve cable, sometimes also called the kick down cable.

Yeah, it's often incorrectly refereed to as a kickdown cable. The cable affects pressure inside the tranny and shift firmness. The trans computer decides when to shift based on the inputs from the trans output speed sensor and the throttle position sensor. It also looks at the neutral safety sensor to determine the shifter position, and also has an input speed sensor on the newer transmissions.

So if it's downshifting more often, I'd say either the throttle position sensor is wearing out or got pressure washed and is contaminated, or you're giving it more throttle than before.

Good to know! Battery died on her. Put a new one in and now all the doors unlock when i hit the button. Wondering if that had something to do with it. I will adjust the linkage and swap the sensor if she is still doing it.

Low voltage will mess with the Transmission Control Unit computer.

Back