• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hesitation/bucking could it be tranny related

mikeyl

NAXJA Forum User
well, i'm still getting the ocassional stutter while at freeway speeds on my 91. this will probly keep me from taking my rig to moab this time. i have a quick question again. as a refresher it will drop 500 rpm while running at 2500. buck and hesitate quickly and then resume 2500. i have changed, the cps/tps/coil/fuel pump (32psi at idle and holds 32psi at upper revs). the voltmeter reads steady.the plugs/cap/wires are new. the engine sports a banks header (#5) , a 2000 intake, mustang injectors.
i am beginning to think tranny. aw4/283k on it. i am wondering if it is not locking the t.c. and on ocasion tries to and i get this drop and buck.how can i test this? does anyone know what wire from the tranny computer signals the torque convertor, off the top of their head (or manual). and will disabling it cause issues (i know heat will likely increase but i want to see if this mitigates the problem). and does this sound like a possible failure mode?
thanks in advance, mike

Re: update

update. definatly not the tranny. still huge problems

Are you only driving on short trips?

When the CPS sensor starts to go out it often is temperature (operating time) dependent, one long trip and it might completely kill the motor and wont start untill it cools off.

The connector on the CPS can actup as well. If it looses signal the engine will die the same as having the ignition turned off.

all your dash lights and accessories stay on?

it probly sees 250-300 miles a week. usually my 100 mile comute to work monday and then a week of 10-20 days and back north on the weekend. the cps is new, though the one that had been in there was only about 3 years old at best. i suppose it could be connector related, i'll check that one. my first cps experience was it just plain not wanting to operate above 1800 rpm. this one will pull through into the 4k region no problems, it just sometimes drops out when i'm cruisng around 2500 rpms.
and the lights and all stay on. if i manage to catch the guage condition during rpm drop , my volt guage reads steady.
and no check engine lights and the blink code reads "55" which is supposed to mean clear and no problems.
the map sensor is an adj unit, albeit my old one modified , but i've just leave it in the bypass/stock mode most of the time.

Last edited:
is it poss. that its loading up? If your dumping a bit to much fuel and the O2 is trying to compasate yet the Map is not reacting (is it a map clamp style or a pot adjustable map?) then its poss that while at steady RPM its just loading up and then its clearing out when the O2 does a huge react to the rich, or maybe even the opossite and lean, condition?

What size injectors? Also have you pulled plugs to see what they look like? Do you know anyone with a dyno or smog machine? I know a shop in San Berdo, that does quick Dyno runs with a wide band read out for like 20-40$ for 3 pulls. they can also do a sniffer of it at normal cruise speeds I think.

Back