• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extending brake lines

98XJclassic

NAXJA Forum User
I am finally going to extend my rear brake line, going to the wreckers in the morning. Is it true that I need the rear brake line off any year YJ? TJ work too? Brake lines are something I've never done before, do I need special tools? And once I've replaced it I guess I have to bleed the system? Difficult to bleed at the rear drums? Thanks for any help.

the "wrecker" ? you mean used lines? wow , thats bad ju -ju there... aside from simple problems like system contamination, you are banking your physical well-being on a part with unknow origin and questionable integrity. spend a few bucks and get some stainless braided from RE or rusty's. besides you may not even be able to salvage one off a used vehicle. brake lines constantly flex and end up cracking, even if its not cracked it can be spongy on the inside, and rusty fittings as well. as far as the bleeding goes it is really easy if you have the right wrench and a friend (or a vacuum pump) do it once, buy new.

Go to the auto parts store and get a yj new line it si $20 and 4" longer!

Go to a local speedshop and have them make you up some new brakelines, whatever exact length you need (i.e. take your stock line to them, and say I need this line, only X inches longer and SS braided). CJ buddy of mine did this, and it's tons cheaper (usually) than the aftermarket SS braided lines advertised for XJs. Wish I knew of this option before I spent all that cash on RE lines.

If you have a shop make them up they will not be DOT approved for highway use.Also depending on how much lift you have a 96 Dodge Dakota line is 6" longer!

Also know what size the bolt/breather tube is.Some axles/years used a solid bolt and the hole in the mounting block is small.Later models have a combo bolt breather tube that is much larger in diameter. I think i used a 95 YJ line when doing mine.8.25 Chry
Wayne

I just got a braided s/s extention line from Rusty. It's about a foot longer than the stock MJ hose on my 44. It has the brass T where the hard lines connect.

It may be too long? (6" leaves + revolver shackles) but I plan to sheath it in slit fuel line, and take the slack up with a lightweight spring attached to the frame.

New front extension lines on the way :) but on my MJ I bought YJ front hoses from NAPA, tweaked the bends to be tucked in better on XJ/MJ calipers, and srtaightened/relocated the upper hard lines.

Thanks for the help, this morning I went to the parts store and bought a 95 YJ line, but found it to be only around 2" longer, had identical fittings, installed it, then bled both drums. While I was back there I finally removed the stock sway bar too, hardly noticed any difference on the way home. Thanks again.

Back