• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rolled my jeep.. now need help rebuilding

The problem I have is swapping everything over to the donor. It literally took me years to put in the 350, transmission, axels, etc. This was the absolute first run I had with everything in place. I don't have the heart or stomach to do everything all over again. I also don't have the room-- when I originally did this work, I had access to a full shop, plenty of room, and guys with years of expertise.

But I hear you-- what you're saying logically makes the most sense, I'm reacting somewhat emotionally. If I can have the body straightened and fixed and caged for a somewhat reasonable price, I'd really at this point be far more inclined to go that route. If I have to swap everything over... I'll end up with two trucks on cinderblocks in my driveway for the next couple of years.

I gotcha, I'm in somewhat of the point. My XJ ripped apart the unibody at the steering box and is on jack stands. I was planning on plating the unibody and building it up, but having the space and time to do the work is somewhat hard to come by right now.

Are you opposed to just chopping the top off and caging it? Realistically that would probably be the easiest, cheapest and look bad ass.

As for the D/C cage, it looks decent but seems to lack support. Really need some extra support over top if that is all you're running. Would be a good cage if you had a exo that took the brunt of a roll but personally I wouldn't trust that cage to salvage a lot if you flop.

Are you opposed to just chopping the top off and caging it? Realistically that would probably be the easiest, cheapest and look bad ass.

Nope, and that may very well be where I end up. Still evaluating options at this point.

I put the d&c cage in mine. I through the cross bars away and made mine straight to get the side bars further out. After adding a x at the c pillar and adding a c pillar it turned out well. It shook some so i made extra mounts to my factory seatbelt bolts since i run harnesses anyway. If u run full interior i would exo cage it. Space gets cramped quick

I put the d&c cage in mine. I through the cross bars away and made mine straight to get the side bars further out. After adding a x at the c pillar and adding a c pillar it turned out well. It shook some so i made extra mounts to my factory seatbelt bolts since i run harnesses anyway. If u run full interior i would exo cage it. Space gets cramped quick

Thanks... I originally felt that I wanted the full use of the interior, but experience has whittled down the amount of crap (gear) I take with me on the trail vs. leaving in my tow rig. The only thing that I think would be helpful ois to still be able to fold the seats down, but even that I can forego. I just really hate the look of the exo, and not sure they're any better than an internal cage (though I'm still researching)

If I ever roll mine to that extent, I'm taking off the top, putting in a cage and making it a dedicated trail rig - even if it never gets to "Buggy" state.

If I ever roll mine to that extent, I'm taking off the top, putting in a cage and making it a dedicated trail rig - even if it never gets to "Buggy" state.

definitely something I'm considering.

How tall are you?

For myself an internal cage is problematic. I don't have enough clearance for my noggin.

This is not an issue for everyone, but is a point worth considering.

I had that problem with my d and c cage. I'm 5'10" ish, and I had less than an inch between my head and the main hoop. I took it out and will be going the hybrid cage route, which imo is the best compromise between exo and internal cage.

I had that problem with my d and c cage. I'm 5'10" ish, and I had less than an inch between my head and the main hoop. I took it out and will be going the hybrid cage route, which imo is the best compromise between exo and internal cage.

That could be a problem, my Seats
one a little on the tall side, and I'm 6'.
any way to modify the cage to accomodate a tall noggin?

At 6' you should be seriously thinking hybrid or exo. Or perhaps plan on donating your brain to science.

I am not aware of any off-the-shelf options.

You do not show where you are and skimming the thread it did not pop out. I saw you said 350. So you v8 swapped you xj then destroyed the roof. Like all have said you have two choices. Swap it all to a new body or chop and buggy it out. I can tell you from experience the Halo with a pillar cage is the way to go if you go the new body route. The d and c is a decent cage but at 5' 11" I found my head way to close to the tubes. Looking forward to what you end doing. If you have no inspection like I do chop and cage is not the be all end all for road driving. As long as you have proper lights and mirrors you are legal as long as it's insured and tagged.

You do not show where you are and skimming the thread it did not pop out. I saw you said 350. So you v8 swapped you xj then destroyed the roof. Like all have said you have two choices. Swap it all to a new body or chop and buggy it out. I can tell you from experience the Halo with a pillar cage is the way to go if you go the new body route. The d and c is a decent cage but at 5' 11" I found my head way to close to the tubes. Looking forward to what you end doing. If you have no inspection like I do chop and cage is not the be all end all for road driving. As long as you have proper lights and mirrors you are legal as long as it's insured and tagged.

I'm in NY -- royal PITA to keep it on the road. I do some of my work at my house, but really need it to be road-legal... I'm speaking with a body guy today that I trust, and has dealt with roll-overs before. He's looking everything over -- I trust him enough to tell me if the truck just isn't worth it, or not as big a deal. Like I said earlier, his initial reaction was that if I didn't mind a few dents, the roof was possibly salvageable. but I'll know later today.

As for the D&C, whatever route I go re: cage, I've already decided that I'm not going to do it myself-- I'm going to use the same offroad shop that did my diffs/xfercase/lift/etc. I'm sure they can mod the D&C or build a complete custom cage for me.

My question would be why the V-8, stick w/ the 4.0 and you'll be better off overall!

I'm in NY -- royal PITA to keep it on the road. I do some of my work at my house, but really need it to be road-legal... I'm speaking with a body guy today that I trust, and has dealt with roll-overs before. He's looking everything over -- I trust him enough to tell me if the truck just isn't worth it, or not as big a deal. Like I said earlier, his initial reaction was that if I didn't mind a few dents, the roof was possibly salvageable. but I'll know later today.

As for the D&C, whatever route I go re: cage, I've already decided that I'm not going to do it myself-- I'm going to use the same offroad shop that did my diffs/xfercase/lift/etc. I'm sure they can mod the D&C or build a complete custom cage for me.

Your A pillars don't look to bad. If your A pillars are not bent then I would take the wind shield out use a high lift jack on the inside along with plenty of different pieces of wood and press the roof back up into shape. Get it as close as you can to we're it was. Go to pick and pull with some card board and make a template of the wind shield frame from another XJ so you know we're it needs to be. Obviously you will need hammers and dollies as well buy the set at Harbor Freigt. After all that is done put a new windshield in and spray it with a pressure washer to make sure you have no leaks. Once you have confirmed no leaks spray the entire vehicle with Durabak you color of choice then you will be done and don't roll it again. It shouldn't cost you more than 500. If extreme off roading is in your future then I recommend an internal cage. I am not a fan of XO cages as they are made to protect the vehicle and not the occupants. I am putting a D&C cage in my jeep because I run 4 and 5 rated trails not by choice my freinds all have buggies and I need to keep up. I enjoy exploring and relaxing but instead I am putting my jeep on in its side with smoke pouring out of every crevis boy do I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning.

My question would be why the V-8, stick w/ the 4.0 and you'll be better off overall!

if you have to ask, it can't be explained ....

Your A pillars don't look to bad. If your A pillars are not bent then I would take the wind shield out use a high lift jack on the inside along with plenty of different pieces of wood and press the roof back up into shape. Get it as close as you can to we're it was. Go to pick and pull with some card board and make a template of the wind shield frame from another XJ so you know we're it needs to be. Obviously you will need hammers and dollies as well buy the set at Harbor Freigt. After all that is done put a new windshield in and spray it with a pressure washer to make sure you have no leaks. Once you have confirmed no leaks spray the entire vehicle with Durabak you color of choice then you will be done and don't roll it again. It shouldn't cost you more than 500. If extreme off roading is in your future then I recommend an internal cage. I am not a fan of XO cages as they are made to protect the vehicle and not the occupants. I am putting a D&C cage in my jeep because I run 4 and 5 rated trails not by choice my freinds all have buggies and I need to keep up. I enjoy exploring and relaxing but instead I am putting my jeep on in its side with smoke pouring out of every crevis boy do I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning.

guy that worked on my suspension for me said the same thing.
The more I look into this, the more I'm thinking salvaging what I have is the better route ... either bending the crap out of it and getting it as good as possible, or welding on a new roof.

If you keep it, do a 'hybrid cage'. These are typically mostly internal but are external over the roof.

If you keep it, do a 'hybrid cage'. These are typically mostly internal but are external over the roof.

thanks.. trailering it to a body shop tomorrow to see if it's worth fixing. I'm going to start with the D&C cage, and go from there.

Back