NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 9th, 2018, 17:18
NAXJA Forum User

Rain Leaks

So in Southern California right now we are experiencing this weird thing where water falls from the sky. Basically a few million people are freaking out and we are pretty sure the end of the world is here.

But... I personally have taken this opportunity to find all the places my Jeep leaks. I have several small weatherstripping issues that I donít really care about, however I did find water dripping in and around my fuse box and the connections behind it. With limited visibility because of everything being cramped under the dash, I can not tell if it is dripping from above or through the firewall connection. So has anybody experienced this area leaking? Iím sure I can just silicone around the firewall connection and slather dialectic grease in the connector but if itís from higher up, where is the most likely place that would leak?

Thanks
Old January 9th, 2018, 17:24
Mostly Harmless

Re: Rain Leaks

Yeah. What is up with this water from the sky thing?

And it is freaky cold too. Like 60 degrees. Can human life even subsist at these temperatures?

Anyway, as to the leak, this might be a worthwhile read: www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1138283
Old January 9th, 2018, 17:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Yeah. What is up with this water from the sky thing?

And it is freaky cold too. Like 60 degrees. Can human life even subsist at these temperatures?

Anyway, as to the leak, this might be a worthwhile read: www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1138283
Well my initial reaction was to start crying when I saw that it was still raining more than 10 minutes after it started. Then I turned to the thought of panic. Then when crying and panicking didnít stop the rain, I just accepted it unhappily. I thought part of my ridiculously overpriced cost of living in Southern California went to keeping the sun up and the cold away.

But in all seriousness the link did not work. It came up with link not found.
Old January 9th, 2018, 18:02
Mostly Harmless

Hmm...

Here is what should be the same link: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1138283

And if that doesn't work, I have bumped the thread. It is Hood Release Grommets, and indicates that several folks have experienced water leaks at the grommet onto the fuse block at the driver's feet.

And yes, this rain keeps falling. I hope this isn't the end...
Old January 10th, 2018, 15:21
NAXJA Member #1310

Last winter, I had a bad dash leak in the 1997 XJ, on the passenger side.
It was coming around the air intake, under the cowling. The intake is sealed with a foam gasket which had deteriorated, allowing water to enter.
It was a pain to seal, requiring cutting a hole in the cowling large enough to get into the area to seal it, using polyurethane sealant.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/...7677009594362/
2001 Sport, 4 " lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, SYE, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac-D-30-E-Locker both with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco/Sport-Trac front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Old January 10th, 2018, 15:23
NAXJA# 2091

What year and model is it? Specs?
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091