• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 rebuild/build

Jayridespow

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve had my XJ for a few years now and have to admit when I first got I didn’t think I had anything special although it was cherry with only 118K miles on it when I got it. Everything works on it. All power windows, a/c etc. At first I was just going to treat it like the past few vehicles I have had. I had over 500k miles on a previous Toyota FJ60. I just run them till they won’ t go anymore. Until recently I have gotten the bug to build my XJ after seeing examples of other people’s builds. But I didn’t want to spend all the cash on building my Jeep unless it was going to last me for a while. So the last threes months I have been buying parts, bit by bit. Went premium on everything. New Timken unit bearings. Moog ball joints, Spicer u joints (8 of them with two double Cardin dS’s) A/C Delco rotors and pads. All new Oem hoses and belt, new tranny cooler lines with auxiliary cooler. New power steering cooler. 880 cca Exide AGM battery. That’s it for the rebuild part of the project. The build part of the project included 5 inch lift. 3 inch Skyjacker coils w/ 2inch isolator, IRO extended control arms with IRO flex joints. IRO 3 1/2 inch leaf packs with RC shackle relocators and RE extended shackles. IRO HnT SYE. RE double chamber shocks (Bilsteins on wish list) rebuilt front ds from front of another 99 XJ for my rear ds. Smittybuilt XRC front bumper with 9000 lb winch. Pair of LED’s on bull bar. Roof rack with full size spare. 31 x 10.5 Cooper AT3 tires on 15 inch Tactic Steelies.Homemade bump stops. It took me 10 solid days to do everything after I had acquired all the parts, working in shop of one of my clients (thanks Frank). I had to buy a few tools too. 3 ton floor jack, electric impact wrench,ball joint press kit, coil spring compressor . My recovery kit is pretty complete too.Hi lift jack with wheel lift adapter and homemade foot plate. 30 ft 30k pound strap. 30k 6foot tree saver strap. Two snatch blocks. 10 ft hd chain. 5/8 inch shackles on d rings on front bumper and of course the bad a$$ winch on said bumper. Premium tire repair kit. ViAir compressor. Good selection of ratchet and cam straps. My brother is a Snap On dealer so I’m pretty solid on hand tools. Pics to come soon. Haven’t figured how to get them off my android phone to this I pad. Will have to take some more pics with the I pad and get them up. I’m addicted. I can’t keep from staring at it now wondering what I want to do next. As a cancer survivor it’s giving me something to live for. I live in the ideal place for wheeling. Southern Colorado in the San Juan’s. Countless forest service roads just right outside of town and I’m only 4 hours from Moab. Glad to be part of the XJ community and thanks to all for the how to’s and ideas.

Back