• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Prep interior herculiner

levi_v

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I posted this on cherokeeforum and did not receive a reply so I figured I would try my luck over here. I am getting ready to prep my car for herculiner and was wondering if I should remove the heat shielding/noise dampening material or just apply over it. I have a 97 and it is on the transmission well and floor area where your feet are. Also there is a thick amount of it in the trunk as well. If I need to remove it anyone have any recommendations as they are stuck down pretty good?

Well if you do not remove it, it will be a "hot bed" for rust !

First, I'll go ahead and say bedlining the interior was one of the worst decisions I ever made when mine was a full body.

That being said, I would remove the CLD tiles installed.

The best way to remove them is with dry ice and isopropyl alcohol.

You can easily google "dry ice sound deadening removal" and there are plenty of videos all around the web for it.

I did it myself not too long ago.

First, I'll go ahead and say bedlining the interior was one of the worst decisions I ever made when mine was a full body.

You can easily google "dry ice sound deadening removal" and there are plenty of videos all around the web for it.

This

So was it just alot louder and you regret it for that or was it just too much work for what you got out of it ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Okay, Just out of curiosity why did you not like the bedlining in the interior?

From my experience with it in a buddies rig. It's obnoxiously loud and the inside gets way too hot. As much as carpet isn't the greatest to keep things mud free, if your using the rig for any type of DD stuff you'll be a lot happier.

So was it just alot louder and you regret it for that or was it just too much work for what you got out of it ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Okay, Just out of curiosity why did you not like the bedlining in the interior?

1.) It was loud. Fine driving it shorter distances, but across long stretches (i.e. CO to CA and back), it made my head numb for a hours after getting done driving. Mind you, for a while I was running a turndown after the cat. But for most of it I was running a Flowmaster 40.

2.) It gets...hot. There were several time where my leg would inadvertently rest against the trans tunnel, didn't make that mistake more than a couple times.

3.) Once it heats up during driving, it has a slight smell to it. No amount of doorless (for the last part of my rigs life, no door or hatch) driving made it "cure" and go away.

4.) Attracts and holds onto dust like none other. Vacuums only did so much, and it's not like you can just go spraying out the interior.

5.) In my case, I still have areas that came up with repeated banging from spares and such. These areas like to turn into magnets fur dirt, water...and then rust.

If anything, take the carpet out, clean things up, and then get some rubberized matting and floor liners to fit.

Back