• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Front Disc Brake upgrades?

Greenspan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Looking to upgrade the brakes on the front of my 98. I think the previous owner put slotted rotors in that caused them to squeak even with a lot of pad left. What's the best option to maximize brake performance? No plans to do any real towing.

Black Magic brake pads and Centric rotors is the best you'll do on stock size brakes.

There is the WJ dual piston caliper and steering option....

I was looking into doing the WJ conversion but didn't want to change the knuckles and redoing the track etc etc. then I found another forum. Large mustang rotors later Grand Cherokee calipers early knuckles. Down side 17 inch wheels a must. I have TJ Moab wheels. So I took a gamble I did powerstop rotors and matching pads. The severe duty pads and rotors kit. They weren't supper expensive I did notice an improvement over what I had. I've done the rear disc conversion right after I bought the jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed "Powerstop" pads and rotors on my 99. They were on sale locally for about $140 when I bought them 4 years ago. With 31s and towing a 3,000lbs boat and trailer the stock brakes were not up to the task. With that front kit and a rear drum upgrade courtesy of the XJ Dana 44 larger rear drum brakes I am happy 30,000 miles later.

Im gonna get the Black magic pads, and im doing the KJ swap for the rear eventually.
4.5" lift, rock rails, and an aftermarket bumper with 33" KM2s left the brakes wanting.

barring that budget, yes the black magic pads and centric rotors are a great option.

fwiw its what i run on my DD.

and my tow rig for that matter.

I went with the Vanco Big Brake kit (uses Black Magic pads) on my '98 and couldn't be happier. It makes a huge difference over the stock brakes with 35s. And it works perfectly with the stock master cylinder and brake booster. Highly recommended. There are a few posts with install photos in this thread.

Back