• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine computer - can someone help me please?

jma

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there XJ-addicts!
Hope someone can help a fellow XJ`er from Norway :)

My XJ has been DEAD for 2 weeks now, and after the first week i had to give up searching for the fault, and delivered the car to the local Jeep dealer.
Now they claim to have found out whats wrong - and thats the engine computer!! As they told me, they could not get contact with the engine computer when searching for engine codes.
BUT - the heater/fan want either when they turn on the ignition...and that has always been working before. And the engine computer should not cause the fan not to work! Any connection between this and the car not starting?

As told in another post, engine computers are EXPENSIVE in Norway. And the price i have to pay for it is around $1200!!!!!
I guess it`s not THAT expensive in USA?

So, can someone help me find a dealer that can provide me of an engine computer for my 1998 2.5l XJ?
Original Partnumber is: 5604 1527 AF

And do someone here have a clue of what the price will be?

I would be very happy if someone could help me out with this.

Best Regards
Marius A.
Norway

It is highly unlikely that the computer is bad. If there is loss of power to the computer, this may also affect other circuits. Check all fuses, fusable links, etc to determine if the computer is powering up.
Be suspicious of the ignition switch.
And consider a second opinion.

Well I have it listed here at 559.00 but it stays that it is an export part and can't be ordered. Sorry thats all the help I can give.
Lenny

Ok, but thanks anyway...

Looks like have to park the car forever then....have been told by several other people that it cant be the computer.
And when the Jeep dealer cant find out, all postings on forums, help from friends and so on...who will?

Sadly Regards
The 1998 Dead Indian

Also,
have you tried the ECU relay, in troublshooting competitions thats always one of the parts they love to replace with a defective one because nothing will work. It makes it so you cant even get engine codes.

Good Luck.

Where is your XJ now? Do you have it, or is it at the dealer?

I have a 2000, and I have the 2000 technical service manual. I am certain that the manual has a trouble shooting sequence to follow. I'll be happy to work with you to try to follow the sequence.

Step one will be to have a complete listing of the symptoms -- in other words, it doesn't start but does the ignition activate the instruments and warning lights in the dashboard? Does the starter motor function? Does the fuel pump function?

I think it will be possible to find a computer that will function in your vehicle -- it may not be the same part number, but it will function. But it would be terrible to buy a new computer only to find that the XJ still doesn't start.

BTW -- does your export model XJ have an on-board diagnostics (OBD) connection? If so, it should be possible to buy a code reader very inexpensively to confirm what the dealer says. As posted, it is very unusual for the computer to go completely dead. Even if the computer will no longer operate the vehicle, it should store codes that can be read. It sounds like the problem is either power or connection to the computer rather than the computer itself.

Eagle:
My XJ is now at the dealer...on hold as i have do decide what to do.
When turning the ignition on - every warning lights and instruments is activated - and the starter motor is turning normally. I have checked the ignition - but there is now sparks on the plugs, and nothing at the coil..no power into the coil either (hope you understand my bit bad english).
The fuel pump does work too, but anyway that wouldnt help as i get no sparks - so it has to be an electrical problem.
The only things i know not working is the cigarette-plug - didnt work when i bought the car either. And then it is the coupè fans (know what i mean?), they dont work anymore when i turn the ignition on - they did that before!!
AND: There is a yellow light that shows a key in it that is constantly glowing now. Dont know what you called it, but it is some kind of ignition-lock or starting-lock.
The dealer told me that this light is glowing because it cant get power from the Engine Controll box...

About the OBD i have no clue - sorry...

Other information that might be usefull is that i changed the oilfilter the same day this happend (and oil of course), and maybe i have touched some wires...but i cant find out wich if so. I also drive the car after this - several times. So it seems to be a bit strange.

I will gladly provide any information you (or others) need to help me out...and if you solve my problem i will give you something back for helping me out :)
I`m deseperate to get my car working again, and the winter has come to Norway now.

It is difficult to believe that the computer is so dead that the dealer cannot read any codes from it.

Out of curiosity -- I suggest asking the dealer to contact DaimlerChrysler (or you can do it, through the Internet) with the Vehicle Idenitification Number (VIN) and request a "build sheet." This lists each item of standard and optional equipment on the vehicle when it left the factory.

The behavior you describe sounds like an anti-theft system that is either not functioning correctly, or has been accidently activated and nobody knows how to de-activate it.

If I understood you correctly, you purchased this Jeep used. Therefore, it is possible that it has such equipment and you did not know about it.

This is a guess, and nothing more at this time.

There have been some recent discussions here about requesting build sheets. If you do a search, I'm certain that you'll find the correct Internet address to make such a request.

Eagle your thought about an anti-theft device is, what popped into my mind also, when I was reading down the post. They have a couple of systems, here in Europe, that are designed to satisfy the insurance companies. Available/installed by the dealer, but I haven´t seen any/many on USA built XJ´s. That work exactly the same.
I had a European dealer installed, anti-theft in my 88, retro fit, to satisfy Eurpean insurance company specifications, for a discount. Took me three days to remove it and throw it away.
In addition to the standard central locking system, timer ect. they have a proximity sender in a key bob, that is supposedly, the only, thief proof system, recognized by most of the insurance companies. They still steal, a hundred cars a night around Northern Europe, doesn´t really work as well as adveritsed, just something else to mess up and break.
Sounds like a likely possibility.

I´ve seen a few computers that were dead, dead , dead. Usually resulted from a reverse polarity jump start. The first one I trouble shot, nobody would believe it was dead. We finally swapped in a computer from the same year, started right up. I traced most every imput wire and ran into a wall, no output functions. Dealer refused to use, any but a factory programed computer, with the bar code, from the fried computer, to program the new computer. $1000. We pulled the computer from a totaled XJ of the same year and type. Been doing well since, though there were a few minor glitches.

Thanks for all the answers!
But i dont think it is the anti-theft system that fails, or maybe, but that is because it dont get power from the computer.
I have spoken with the dealer again today, and they are 99.9% sure that it is the computer that fails.
They have checked all wires in and out of the computer + all other engine wires...and cannot find anything wrong, except from the computer not responding.

Around $1700 for fixing it is to much for me right now...so i guess i just have to tow the car home, and try to find a used computer. Or if i can get one cheaper from some other country.

My dealer also confirmed the part number, and the computer says there are 4 of them in the warehouse in Milwaukee, but dealers in the USA cannot order it. It is an export-only part. The price is shown as $559.

Suggestion #1 -- send a private message to SV1CEC. He is in Greece. Perhaps he can order it for less money and send it to you. (But I doubt it. Prices for other parts seem to be very high in Greece as well.)

Suggestion #2 -- my dealer can order part number 5604 1526 AB, which is the USA PCM for a 2.5L manual transmission. The price is $528. However, this part cannot be returned, so it's a risk. If you are interested, I can give you information to contact the parts "guru" at the dealership to discuss it.

Suggestion #3 -- log onto www.car-part.com -- this is a search site serving many automotive junk yards across the United States. It will show you if the PCM is available, and what it would cost. You can search the entire country, or limit the search. For example, I am in Connecticut, on the east coast of the United States. If the part is available near me, I could get it for you and ship it. You can also estimate shipping cost by logging onto the postal service web site at www.usps.com . Use my postal code 06525 for obtaining an estimate. If it is available to Norway, Global Priority is probably the least expensive method that provides a tracking number.

Good luck.

Back