• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

15x8 3.75 stock 96 XJ tire size

AlexNL

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

Is there anyone out there who can tell me what size tire to run on a 96 stock XJ with 15x8" wheels with 3.75" backspacing.

I would like to not cut anything on the flares or fenders.
I will modify/add bumpstops if needed.

Pictures are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the input.

I don't think the width will be an inssue. I'm more worried about the diameter of the tire since the backspacing is 3.75". The wheel will be making a bigger radius when turning from full lock to full lock. It might end up hitting the flare coners (front and rear of the flare).

Anyone with actual experience with a setup like this?

I was looking at a 255/70R15 tire or a 235/75R15 tire. Just worried about rubbing on the flare/fender when turning.

I recall only a tiny bit of rubbing on my 15x8x3.75 wheels when I had 33x12.50's on it at stock height. Lifted it 4.5" and the rub went away until I flexed it and then went away permanently when I trimmed the fenders.

I recall only a tiny bit of rubbing on my 15x8x3.75 wheels when I had 33x12.50's on it at stock height. Lifted it 4.5" and the rub went away until I flexed it and then went away permanently when I trimmed the fenders.

I had the opportunity to testfit a 15x8x3.75 with a 33x12.50 BFG KO. It absolutely destroys the flares when turning the steeringwheel only a quarter of a turn or so on my stock XJ.

Did yours come with the Upcounrty 1" lift package from the factory by any chance?

Mine is stock (no upcountry lift).

Edit: Here is the photo of the testfit (you can click on the image).

Last edited:
I think you have your answer already. I may be off and didn't do the first test until after I had the lift coils up front. I know at one point, it barely rubbed in the rear of the flare. Must have been post lift since it's obvious you shouldn't run it like it is in the pic. You could take measurements and do some geometry to figure out the max tire size if you wanted to using those 33's as a reference.

I tried mocking up the OD of various tire sizes. Biggest seems to be 235/75R15.
The rest hits the flares when turning according to my measurements.

I was just wondering if there are people who had the same 'challenge' with a stock height non cut 96 XJ before I purchase €500,- worth of tires that will or will not fit. :)

I think i'm pushing the envelope here with the stock height and crazy offset.

Might be time for a budget boost... ;)

On the 2001 XJ, I run 33 X10.50-15 KOs, on 8 X 15 rims with 4" of offset, and they barely fit under the raised stock flares
You might be better served by buying wheels with more offset, maybe 4.5".

3.75" of offset is too little for most applications that keep the stock flares, especially considering the stock rims are 7 X 15 with 5.25" of offset.
The extra inch of rim width pushes the tire outward another 1/2", compared to to the stock 7" rims.
The outside rim of the 3.75" BS wheels are 2" further outward, compared to the stock wheel.

The flares on 96 and older models look larger than the 97+ models.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm down to 2 options. Either getting a budget boost to accomodate for larger diameter tires. Or buy 235/75-15 so they don't rub on stock height.

I want to keep the 15x8 3.75 because i really like the agressive wide stance.

I'm probably gonna go with the budget boost first.

Update:

Yesterday i installed a RT Off-road budget boost (1.75") on my Xj. Now there should be a little bit more room to play with.

Any suggestions for 1.75" lift 15x8 3.75" BS tires?

I run 31x10.5 on a 15x7 wheel with a 2" spacer.

Do you wheel much with the sway bar disconnected? If so, the most important thing will be to bump stop properly to prevent rubbing. I added a 1.25" spacer to my bumpstops in the front, but also trimmed the fenders and relocated the stock flares up ~2". The rear I added 2.5" to the bumpstop and have zero rubbing with stock flares and no trimming.

Update:

Ended up with 235/75R15 (29x9.5x15) Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport on the 15x8 3.75 BS wheels. 1.75 inch budget boost.

No rubbing at all.

I'm very happy with the result and the wide stance of the xj.

11b5jxi.jpg

When I went to get ready to mount my new LT235/75R15 BFG AT KO2's on some 15x8 Ravine wheels, it didn't look like there was going to be any way to make the beads seat properly. Maybe my eyes were deceiving me because yours look good.

IMO, 8" wide wheel is a bit much for a 9" wide tire. Does not mean it will not work.

Update:

Ended up with 235/75R15 (29x9.5x15) Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport on the 15x8 3.75 BS wheels. 1.75 inch budget boost.

No rubbing at all.

I'm very happy with the result and the wide stance of the xj.

11b5jxi.jpg

Hi!

Do you mind sharing the brand of the wheels? I am totally in love with them and I spent 2 days looking for them online! Please!

Back