NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 8th, 2005, 08:37
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

Hubs, Brakes, Ideas?

This is about my bro's 98 xj. Under hard braking, in drivers side area, there is a weird, pulsating grinding. Its unlike any rotor I've ever heard before, so I dont think thats it. The rotors were turned about a month ago. On visial inspection, they look to be fine. Which leads me to the hub bearings. I'm thinking they me be going bad. The noise only happens under hard braking, So I'm thinking that when I brake that way, more weight is put on the bearings, causing the noise. Ideas?
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:05
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Hubs, Brakes, Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csudman
This is about my bro's 98 xj. Under hard braking, in drivers side area, there is a weird, pulsating grinding. Its unlike any rotor I've ever heard before, so I dont think thats it. The rotors were turned about a month ago. On visial inspection, they look to be fine. Which leads me to the hub bearings. I'm thinking they me be going bad. The noise only happens under hard braking, So I'm thinking that when I brake that way, more weight is put on the bearings, causing the noise. Ideas?
ABS?

Wheel bearing maybe? Get the wheel(s) off the ground and use a long pry bar or 2x4 to shove it around and look for slop.
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:08
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJXJ
ABS?

Wheel bearing maybe? Get the wheel(s) off the ground and use a long pry bar or 2x4 to shove it around and look for slop.
Doesnt feel like abs either. I'm gonna pull it apart tongiht. We'll see. I'm afraid if its the hub, I won't be able to tell. But I guess I can use the good old process of ellimination. Some idot at Tire Kingdom said it was his transfer case. Cause when you put in 4wh on pavment the steering wheel jerked when you turned. Idoits. All of them.
Old February 8th, 2005, 17:57
NAXJA Member #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by csudman
Doesnt feel like abs either. I'm gonna pull it apart tongiht. We'll see. I'm afraid if its the hub, I won't be able to tell. But I guess I can use the good old process of ellimination. Some idot at Tire Kingdom said it was his transfer case. Cause when you put in 4wh on pavment the steering wheel jerked when you turned. Idoits. All of them.
If it's the hub you can probably tell. Jack up the suspect wheel and wiggle it around, and rotate it. A good hub should have zero play and no noise or roughness. You might do well to retract the brake pads a little first, so you can hear and feel the hub better, but you might not even need to do that if the hub is bad enough. Though the noise described sounds much more like a hub, don't forget to check the universal joints while you're at it, and also double check the tie rods. Sometimes a bad tie rod can sound like a bad rotor.