NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 13th, 2011, 07:51
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Re: Dana 34: D44 hubs & brakes on D30 Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrigorenko View Post
i semi disagree with your statement. is it technically a problem? no, but it will be nice to not wear out parts when i am not even using them (carrier/pinion bearings, gears, driveshaft ujoints, transfercase parts), and to be able to rebuild my wheel bearings for less than the cost of a single unit bearing. also when i break something, i can disengage driveline at the point of breakage and get to an easier location without destroying other components in the process.

I think Crackers point was that you ditched the best part of the dana 30, and kept the worst parts - while importing the weak links of a dana 44.

After all upgrades done, the biggest drawbacks to the dana 30 are the balljoints and lack of high steer - both of which you kept.

The weak link on a dana 44 is the lockout, and the actual hub housings themselves will swell after a lockout breaks, so you've gotta buy a new hub, bearings, etc.

He wasn't (and i am not) knocking your work, which was very well done - but you'd have done a lot better to put a d30 unit bearing into a d44.. =)
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:10
NAXJA Forum User

Reid makes 30/44 knukles with high-steer built-in, using chevy spindle and ford 44 brake and hub. That is the way I am going; bought them used on this site.
Steve
Old May 13th, 2011, 18:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
I think Crackers point was that you ditched the best part of the dana 30, and kept the worst parts - while importing the weak links of a dana 44.

After all upgrades done, the biggest drawbacks to the dana 30 are the balljoints and lack of high steer - both of which you kept.

The weak link on a dana 44 is the lockout, and the actual hub housings themselves will swell after a lockout breaks, so you've gotta buy a new hub, bearings, etc.

He wasn't (and i am not) knocking your work, which was very well done - but you'd have done a lot better to put a d30 unit bearing into a d44.. =)
Well a d30 unit bearing is too small, so that is out of the question. I wonder if another unit bearing would be plausible. At any rate, I see where you guys are coming from, but on 33s open dif I sincerely doubt I am going to blow. the hub, and as a daily driven rig, I have to say that I love the lockouts. The noise reduction itself is worth it. That has been the first I have ever heard of the hubs being the weak point on the 44

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk
Old May 13th, 2011, 18:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveareno View Post
Reid makes 30/44 knukles with high-steer built-in, using chevy spindle and ford 44 brake and hub. That is the way I am going; bought them used on this site.
Steve
I am aware of this, but again this was an extreme budget project

Old May 13th, 2011, 18:54
NAXJA Member # 788

Quote:
Well a d30 unit bearing is too small, so that is out of the question. I wonder if another unit bearing would be plausible.
A unit bearing of any kind would negate most of the reasons why you did this.
Old May 14th, 2011, 00:07
NAXJA Forum User

Nice work. 'Pretty good way to get hubs and decent bearings if you have the shop to do the work.

I think the reason this hasn't been done much is because of the machine work required. While it's not extremely technical, most of us don't have the lathe and mill sitting in the garage. If you threw in the cost of having the work done at a shop, that would kind of negate the "cheap" factor.
Old May 15th, 2011, 14:35
NAXJA Forum User

I really like this! What was the donor vehicle for the parts used.....spindles, caliper brackets, hub/rotor.....?
1/2 ton Ford, 78/79 Bronco?
Wonder if Chevy stuff would work.
Had a thought (and it hurt) what about opening up the knuckle bore instead of machining a step on the spindle......would make spindle replacement (if it were ever required) a lot simpler---------Hans

Last edited by Oatmeal; May 15th, 2011 at 14:40.
Old May 15th, 2011, 16:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post
Had a thought (and it hurt) what about opening up the knuckle bore instead of machining a step on the spindle......would make spindle replacement (if it were ever required) a lot simpler---------Hans
There doesn't appear to be enough room hense his adapter.
DirtboundOffroad always takes great care of me
Old May 15th, 2011, 16:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post
I really like this! What was the donor vehicle for the parts used.....spindles, caliper brackets, hub/rotor.....?
1/2 ton Ford, 78/79 Bronco?
Wonder if Chevy stuff would work.
You pretty much got it with the parts. The reason I didn't open the knuckle is twofold: turning the spindle is really easy, and I wanted to leave as much on the knuckle as possible, especially around the hub bolts. The downside of which is as you pointed out, any replacement spindle must be turned, but again its incredibly easy given you have the equipment.

Last edited by dgrigorenko; May 15th, 2011 at 16:18.
Old May 15th, 2011, 18:58
NAXJA Forum User

I wonder if F250 unit bearings can be made to fit in D44 knuckles?
Old May 15th, 2011, 22:16
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Well a d30 unit bearing is too small, so that is out of the question. I wonder if another unit bearing would be plausible. At any rate, I see where you guys are coming from, but on 33s open dif I sincerely doubt I am going to blow. the hub, and as a daily driven rig, I have to say that I love the lockouts. The noise reduction itself is worth it. That has been the first I have ever heard of the hubs being the weak point on the 44

Most of the modern dana 60's use unit bearings. A couple of companies convert them to 5x5.5, I dont know that you could fit any in the d30 knuckle though.

...what did you think the weak point on the 44 would be? It's bigger than the dana 30 in every way except the hubs..
Old May 15th, 2011, 23:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjohn View Post
I wonder if F250 unit bearings can be made to fit in D44 knuckles?
Why the XXXX would you want that?

Those things don't hold up well at all. I know KOH racers that have to change them after the one day race. Machined ones go for $360/each. 8x170 ones go for a tad cheaper.

Oh yeah, unit bearings suck.....
DirtboundOffroad always takes great care of me
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Most of the modern dana 60's use unit bearings. A couple of companies convert them to 5x5.5, I dont know that you could fit any in the d30 knuckle though.

...what did you think the weak point on the 44 would be? It's bigger than the dana 30 in every way except the hubs..
Ujoints are obviously the same..... and as I am not running ctms or anything special, I consider that the weakest link

Old May 16th, 2011, 07:50
NAXJA Forum User

This is great. I just finished up gathering the parts to do this with Chevey 10 Bolt parts. so I can match my Rodeo D44 Rear.
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJOutsider View Post
This is great. I just finished up gathering the parts to do this with Chevey 10 Bolt parts. so I can match my Rodeo D44 Rear.
Sweet, be sure to post up how yours goes